2008 Wrx... - Page 12 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 196 Old 09-11-2007, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

rockinloud is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
I don't mind the new car now that I've seen it with the SPT mesh grill. Here is one for sale on Ebay. I think the grill makes it look so much better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...mZ160144386890

I'm heading to the Subaru Plant on Friday morning for a special tour of the plant. It was open to 100 Subaru owners and I just happen to be driving by the plant that day on my way to a wedidng. After the tour they have the new WRX, Legacy and Outback to drive.

I'll post what I think of the new car's handling and stuff after the drive. I'm really looking forward to playing with the new S-Drive and paddle shifters on the Legacy. I'll do my best to sneak out any information I can about the upcoming STI.
Meh, its better, but a dressed up turd is still a dressed up turd

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 196 Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Here's a picture from a Japanese magazine without the rally paint job. I'm thinking about putting down a deposit on one of these. The looks are starting to grow on me. Supposedly this isn't the official STI, but between this and the car revealed in Germany I think this has got to be pretty close. Here's a link to all the pictures out of the magazine.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/12/s...aled-possibly/

post #168 of 196 Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

dlacko2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to dlacko2
IDK, i mean the one shamrock posted didnt look that bad, it was really concept car looking. so i could live with that one. but the one in this pic i dont like at all... i agree with wrxkid775 i like the 05's the best.
post #169 of 196 Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

jchristo is an unknown
they couldnt even keep the "impreza" in the gauge pod. wow, this car is cool
post #170 of 196 Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
When everyone talks about "I would get the new EVO instead" are you referring to the Evo X or are they going to make a lower line turbo AWD version, because most people that say that own a WRX and the Evo X will cost 35,000, if not more. Remember this shit dosen't grow on trees
i would also like to know this!

the new sti looks ok in my opinion but the price tag is also higher than the wrx, granted you get what you pay for i will use shamrocks words and say "this shit doesn't grow on trees" i have been more than happy with the power level of my stock 06 wrx.

will Mitsubishi put out there own version of a "WRX"?
i love subaru and i love my wrx but when the day comes to buy a new car i dont think i will buy another subbie unless they fire the ass who designed the new wrx.
i really feel that the wrx is the only car on the market that you get the most bang for your buck. you get the awd, the turbo, a respectable amount of factory HP, nice looking (non 08+ models), and a huge backup of after market products.
what other company brings that to the table?
post #171 of 196 Old 09-14-2007, 01:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

rorofosho is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to rorofosho
Actaully I read that mitsubishi will be making a new ralliart lancer that will actaully have more than different wheels and bodyskirts. Its reported to be turbocharged and four wheel drive and compete with the new wrx. http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...ncer_ralliart/
post #172 of 196 Old 09-16-2007, 03:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

nhmtns is an unknown
I was following an '07 STI the other day and I realized the design just doesn't inspire me anymore. It's been relatively the same for 4 years, so I'm all for a change. That being said, I can understand why some sedan lovers are so upset about the new design. However, as a wagon owner who has always wished Subaru would make an STI wagon, I'm thrilled with the new wagon/hatch styling.

More haters = less competition when I go to buy one
post #173 of 196 Old 09-17-2007, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I was able to tour the Subaru plant last Friday morning. I asked about 5 different employees about the upcoming STI. They said it is top secret until the unveiling in Tokyo next month. The only thing they could confirm is that it will be a hatchback only. They said it had to be a hatchback in order to be competitive in WRC.

It was pretty neat seeing how a car goes from bare metal to finished product. There are a ton of people involved in the process. When I pictured the factory I pictured robots doing all the work, but this isn't the case. They have hundrends of employess putting on trim, hand sanding, and testing the final product. Each car is put on a dyno and the guy runs it up to over 100MPH. All that break-in stuff has to be no sense b/c they totally reamed each car.

After the tour I was able to drive an 08 WRX wagon. The power band felt much smoother than my 05, and the ride was a lot better too. I'm assuming the powerband is smoother due to the new turbo. There was no rush of power when the turbo kicked on.

The shifter action and clutch take up was still pretty sloppy just like my 05. I thought they would have fixed this but they didn't. Overall, I think it's a good car for the masses, not the enthusiast.
post #174 of 196 Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
Overall, I think it's a good car for the masses, not the enthusiast.
see, that's the thing. If Subaru thinks it can market a $24,000 sub-compact "to the masses", it's crazy. The car was only successful because of the enthusiast market and if they loose that, the WRX will not sell well. It costs too much.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #175 of 196 Old 09-17-2007, 02:17 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Mosc has a very valid point. That is the big selling point behind the previous WRXs. I think the idea a hatch is not a bad one, but maybe offer both, just like the WRX is offered.
post #176 of 196 Old 09-17-2007, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

2006wrxturbo is an unknown
to each his own but i can't stand the look of the 08 models. aside from looks, subaru started using plastic/composite intake manifolds on the 2008 wrx. i've seen chevy's and fords that have had issues with the composite intake manifolds cracking. intercooler looks weird and smaller as well. no thanks.
post #177 of 196 Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

OK, so now I'm pretty much convinced that I'm the only one that likes the 08 styling. Here is another shot that came out yesterday of the 08 STI. It's pretty easy now to see what the cars going to look like. I went to my Subaru dealer yesterday and they didn't think that the price would increase. I went ahead and put down a refundable deposit so I could get one of the first ones. They expect them in around January. If the price stays on par with the current STI I'll go ahead and pick it up. I like that it's a wagon so you can haul stuff. The little pass through in my 05 is pretty annoying.

post #178 of 196 Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pearl_boxer is more helpful than not
^^^
I dont like the look of the new WRX, but damn...if that's what the STI will look like, I'm diggn' it for sure. Too bad I'd lose a ton of money on my 06 if I traded it in.

Shaun
Protuned STI Limited #262
post #179 of 196 Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Here's a video of the new STI at the ring. It sounds pretty mean and it looks like it hauls the mail.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/video.php?illustration=226
post #180 of 196 Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Order of one is an unknown
Meh. I'm not sold on the '08s. Subaru is trying much too hard to appeal to the masses which in my humble opinion takes away from the exclusivity of owning one. If I wanted to go buy a run of the mill Japmobile I woulda bought a Civic.

I understand that with all the negative media coverage about every model of the rex they wanted to come out with something "prettier" but maybe it's time for them to stop looking to what car and driver is saying and listen to sales numbers and their enthusists. Sure people complained about the grill on the '06/'07 but most everyone I've heard of grew to love it, and the major thing, they still bought it. From what I've read the '08 will have a hit to hp and torque but has a more luxurious interior. Disgusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement