Pay up... I like paying 18 dollars for a CD man 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jmoney007 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Jmoney007
Question 2 download or Not?

I know this is not wrx related, well kind of since I have to jam out to musAK at all times in the car, and this is a online forum, kind of similiar to an online" (file-sharing) forum. What's your guys opinion on the big bad music labels sueing the small guys(us)? Think its fair? I my self haven't bought a cd in like 4 years. I either copy or download . I can't justify paying $18 dollars a cd, or I can't justify getting sued for 100,000 dollars for coping songs. I did my part to pay for the struggling musicians by going to a concert in august, which they sold 50000 tickets at a average of 50 each(50000*50=2.5million) per venue. I would rather spend the money on wrx parts, since u can't download them.
Whats next, subaru or worse yet , the department of motor vehicle getting a subpenoa to get our(u and me) names on here of (emission control evaders), and sueing us or arreating us, since its illegal for the majority of parts we talk about on here. I think its crap myself, just a big , hot load of it.
just my .02 cents as always
jeremy
If your an undercover cop/agent/gestapo/ ss member/FBI/DEA,secret service, I didn't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Oh yeah.... I have to side with Metallica on this one...

I mean, do you think it's really fair that a few years ago, Metallica only made $250 million? I mean, if everyone that downloaded songs had bought the CD, they might have made $300 million. Imagine, having to tell your family that because of people downloading your music instead of buying it, that this year instead of buying a $30 million house in Beverly Hills, a $12 million house in the Hamptons, and a $8 million vacation house in Hawaii, you might only be able to spend $6 million on the vacation house. How humiliating is that? I mean, these guys spend all year playing music, having fans adore them, travelling all over the world for free, and having large companies give them anything they want for free. Do you have any idea how hard that is? Don't you think that's worth more than a measly $250 million?

: : : END SARCASM : : :
post #3 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Download it man. I mean after I download something and I like, I actually go out and buy the CD (like 1 time out of 100, but it happens). Besides d.l music makes it more popular, which makes more people go out and buy CDs.

Che
post #4 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
hmm..i would NEVER do anything illegal.........
post #5 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jmoney007 is an unknown
come on

Come on joey, quit the bullshitting. And cosmo, sorry about posting in the NOObie zone, but that forum has the MOST action, hence exposer for my topic. I was reading about it in the l.a. times, it just blew me away. Those c@cksuckers, like they don't make enough money. I want all the people who look at this thread to at least vote, if not post. That's a order soilder.
jeremy
Attached Images

post #6 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I didn't move it. Probably Ludachris. But he knows more about this stuff than I do. Plus, he owns the site....
post #7 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Narrus is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Narrus
I'm still amazed how exactly you can sue someone who you cannot prove did anything wrong. It's along the lines of sueing me for a bank robbery when my car was used in it, without any evidence saying I was the driver. I have to agree with Iron Maiden on this topic:

About piracy, our sales haven't gone down in twenty years. Maybe that's because recording labels can't look beyond their own noses to see these bands they are signing suck and don't last more than 2 songs. Go ahead and download all the songs of ours you want!

Beyond that Metallica sold out and went softcore anyway. Their old stuff is so much better. Kinda like Aerosmith, who almost made me fall asleep Sunday. KISS really should have closed that show. Enough ranting.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-11-2003, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlownFlat4 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BlownFlat4
i download songs off a cd then buy it, seriously, so f that, don't know if it would hold up in court though.... i heard on the radio one person settled out of court for $2000... 16 year old chicks computer, i can't remember how many songs she had

Shaune
post #9 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 12:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally posted by Narrus
I'm still amazed how exactly you can sue someone who you cannot prove did anything wrong. It's along the lines of sueing me for a bank robbery when my car was used in it, without any evidence saying I was the driver. I have to agree with Iron Maiden on this topic:

About piracy, our sales haven't gone down in twenty years. Maybe that's because recording labels can't look beyond their own noses to see these bands they are signing suck and don't last more than 2 songs. Go ahead and download all the songs of ours you want!

Beyond that Metallica sold out and went softcore anyway. Their old stuff is so much better. Kinda like Aerosmith, who almost made me fall asleep Sunday. KISS really should have closed that show. Enough ranting.
Ha I was at that show too. Aerosmith was boring after watching the spectacle of a KISS concert! Besides you hear Aerosmith on the radio every stinkin day. The songs just get old and used up.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxecution is an unknown
the riaa is supposed to start random home searches around christmas time and correct me if im wrong but isnt that invasion of privacy?
post #11 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jmoney007 is an unknown
its like the x-files conspiracy shit. Secret agents coming to confiscate your harddrive. Myself , to keep myslef clean, once I download, the cd is burned, and the mp3's are erased. So my computer is clean most of the time. Just not the 4 100 cd cases full of burnt cdr's of music.
jeremy
post #12 of 16 Old 09-13-2003, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxecution is an unknown
thats what im saying i have a vid at home that depicts it very well jeremy ill post it up when i get home from work

>Brad
post #13 of 16 Old 09-14-2003, 10:45 AM
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I have personal experience with this whole thing, as the RIAA tried to get me kicked out of college. First, in my opinion, the RIAA is a criminal organization...and now I get to explain how.

I started college at Clemson University. At the orientation, they told us CDs were the most commonly stolen items. The way I figured, I own the CDs, so can dump them to my computer as MP3s to not have to bring my CDs. That way, if the CDs are not at Clemson, they cannot be stolen.

Fast forward not quite a month into the first semester. My firewall logs what I thought was an ATTEMPT to get into my computer. Given all the attention Napster was getting, I made sure not to have Napster, Morpheus, Kazaa, Scour, had no servers on my computer and was sharing no folders or hard drives or files. In essence, my computer was locked down. Anyways...I get this message from the university network telling me my session has expired so I needed to log in again. So, I tried to log in again and it wouldn't let me. So I called DCIT (campus network types) and asked what was going on. They said I had been found guilty of doing something to violate computer misuse policy. I asked what I had done and they refused to tell me. If anyone has ever read THE TRIAL, by Kafka, this is sounding eerily similar.

After several hours of going back and forth with them, I gave up. I called the student judicial system office and they said they WOULD NOT set up a hearing for that week, though they could have. Basically, I was suspended from class since assignments were turned in through the network. The hearing was set for almost a week and a half after I was kicked off the network...and still didn't know why.

I thought it wise to call my dad then realized I had been using www.dialpad.com (it was free then) and had no long distance service there, no calling card, no cell phone. I had no way to call home. Luckily, he called soon after this all began, and I explained it to him, so he started his own investigating into what was going on. He also came for the hearing.

Morning of the hearing comes around...at 2 AM, the fire alarm was pulled and my room mate didn't lock our door. My credit card and ATM card and cash got stolen. My worries about the possibility of being robbed were well-founded. Good thing I didn't bring any CDs.

At the hearing, the "judge" told me she had been presented with evidence that I was distributing music for profit. I was confused for a moment, then just started laughing, as there was no evidence. I whipped out the printout of my firewall log. My dad pulled out his notes and the printouts he had forced out of Clemson employees. Apparently, the RIAA had hacked into my computer and found my MP3 collection, dubbed it illegal and told Clemson to get rid of me. Neither Clemson nor the RIAA bothered to investigate the legality of the files or to even ask if I had the CDs the files came from. Hell, the RIAA even laid claim to my friend's music, and he certainly hasn't signed with an RIAA lackey label.

So we provided the CDs (my dad brought them from home), the firewall log showing the time, date and IP of the guy who hacked my computer and an email from a DCIT employee. In the email, Barbara Bergman commits defamation per se as she emails other employees, warning about the "criminal" (yes, she referred to me as "the criminal" and then named me) on campus. I also got some emails from a dean referring to me as the criminal. The "judge," not knowing a damned thing about computers, looked over our stuff and apologized for my "inconvenience." Obviously, I was rightly found not guilty of wrong-doing. She ordered DCIT to put me back on the network and contacted my professors about letting me do make-up work or exempting me from the work I missed.

DCIT refused to put me back on the network. 2 weeks after the whole thing started, using the threat of a lawsuit, I forced them to get me back on the network. However, the ordeal with DCIT was not over. They pinged my computer with their servers (all of them). My firewall was picking up incoming traffic more than 20 times that of the most active downloader/server hoster in my 10 floor building. My computer started crashing and logged a few times it was accessed. Suddenly, my computer turns into nothing more than a giant paperweight. Clemson denied wrongdoing.

When this was over, my dad pointed out to the Clemson legal council that they handled this very poorly and that in order to violate my computer, the RIAA had to violate the Clemson network. Clemson contacted the RIAA, wanting to know how, exactly, they could have legally accessed the Clemson network. The RIAA never responded.

My dad and I seperately contacted the RIAA, asking various questions about how they access locked down computers and the like, and we included evidence from our encounter. The RIAA did not respond.

Given my experience, I cannot believe the RIAA is anything but a criminal organization. They claim to uphold law while they TRAMPLE it, violating property and privacy. They must think they are above the law, given the fact they don't think it necessary to even talk to a university's legal council (counsel?). I hope the RIAA and all the labels it covers burn in hell for eternity...and then some. They deserve it.

As it turns out, I caught those who robbed my room. They were 3 football players and are currently serving time in prison.

If anyone wants complete copies of the letter the RIAA sent about me, I have them available in many formats.

This latest round with the RIAA will only hurt them. Notice the more action they take, legal or not, the worse their image gets. If I catch them scanning any of my computers, they're looking at a hefty lawsuit, even if they do have more money and lawyers than me. It's the principal of the thing and I have right on my side...and lots and lots of logs on discs and disks not accessible to networked computers.

If you want music, borrow CDs from friends and rip them to your computer. Buy used CDs. Go to concerts. Use local networks, NOT net accessible, to swap files. Use the little 128MB USB storage things to swap them...burn MP3 CDs and trade. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy CDs from labels the RIAA covers. There is a memberlist of labels on the RIAA's website. They provide us with the blacklist, conveniently.

And to conclude, I would like to say I wish only the worst for the RIAA and their labels and employees. Eternity in hell is too good for them.

RN
post #14 of 16 Old 09-14-2003, 10:47 AM
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by wrxecution
the riaa is supposed to start random home searches around christmas time and correct me if im wrong but isnt that invasion of privacy?
Yes, but the law doesn't concern the RIAA. See my huge post.

RN
post #15 of 16 Old 09-16-2003, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jmoney007 is an unknown
damn shame.... Those bastard are never again getting a dime from me again. Rich bastards. Just upsets me.
"I FEEL U DOG"
jeremy
JMONEY007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement