WRX VS. STI Springs - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-03-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Fodera04 is an unknown
WRX VS. STI Springs

Hey Guys, i just came across a set of 05 STI springs and probably going to drop them into my 04 WRX. I was wondering what kind of benefits i would gain while doing this. I'm thinking that it would stiffen up the car a little so their wont be as much roll but do you think it will lower the car at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Canonshooter is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodera04
Hey Guys, i just came across a set of 05 STI springs and probably going to drop them into my 04 WRX. I was wondering what kind of benefits i would gain while doing this. I'm thinking that it would stiffen up the car a little so their wont be as much roll but do you think it will lower the car at all?
Yes, you are correct! The STi springs are stiffer and just a tad lower. You could also consider the SPT Pinks (designed for the WRX) that are the same spring rate as the STi springs and lower just a touch more. I'm using these springs in my '06 WRX and am very pleased with them.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Fodera04 is an unknown
aight no doubt, i was hoping that they drooped the car a little. kinda of a dumb question but will they fit up right with the wrx struts?
post #4 of 13 Old 09-05-2006, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

nicmowrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to nicmowrx
they lower half an inch theres a pic of one on this page http://www.awdpirates.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14271

stay tuned for hks turbo upgrade-nic
post #5 of 13 Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
yes they will fit fine. spring rates take a pretty good jump- oe 168/117- sti 223/194, lowering right at 10mm
post #6 of 13 Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonshooter
Yes, you are correct! The STi springs are stiffer and just a tad lower. You could also consider the SPT Pinks (designed for the WRX) that are the same spring rate as the STi springs and lower just a touch more. I'm using these springs in my '06 WRX and am very pleased with them.

with those spt pinks are you using the stock struts as well? how much stiffer does it feel? i've been thinking about getting the pinks for a while now but was never quite sure
post #7 of 13 Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Canonshooter is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh15
with those spt pinks are you using the stock struts as well? how much stiffer does it feel? i've been thinking about getting the pinks for a while now but was never quite sure
Yes, stock struts which seem to be fine with them for normal public road use. Stiffer than the stock springs but the stockers are pretty soft. Still rides nicely over rough roads too. I'm using them with a Subaru 20mm RSB, a Whileline 22mm FSB and a performance alignment.

An old motorhead from the 60s now enjoying a WRX!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
a tad stiffer a few mm lower ... how much money you got?
post #9 of 13 Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

designer6 is an unknown
Sorry to bring up a dead thread. However, will there be any kind of problems for the wrx struts on the STI springs ?
post #10 of 13 Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
if your struts are in good condition there shouldn't be any problems- just be aware that struts are a wear item and don't last forever; running firmer rate springs like the STi will shorten the life of your oe strut

they are a very good spring and easily found used for a reasonable price, I suggest running them w/ your oe struts if you don't have the $ to upgrade your struts- when your oe struts do go- then upgrade

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
post #11 of 13 Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
are you at the limit of your stock suspension?

why not get power mods??
post #12 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 02:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

designer6 is an unknown
I purchased my 05 wrx from this person with Tein Springs. I like the lowering and everything but the reason i want to change to the sti springs is because i want a better ride quality. In case i accidentally drive over a bump i don't feel like hurting my car a lot. In addition, if i want to replace my oem struts with the sti struts , which sti year will fit both the front and rear

Many Thanks,

Designer6
post #13 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 10:19 AM
WRXpert

only the 04 STi front struts will fit. As 04's are tougher to find with low miles, what some guys are doing is buying 04 STi struts that are "tired" and then purchasing 05+ struts w/ low miles and then swapping the innards into the 04 housings- the inserts haven't changed, the front housings have

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement