WRX handeling capability? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-24-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

FLAT4AWD is an unknown
WRX handeling capability?

I have a stock 02 right now and it understeers alot. I am eventually going to build It up to run auto x and track events. Im concerned that i bought the wrong car to road race. I dont want to spend alot of money if i can get outhandled by a civic with koni/gc set up. Can a non STi be built to hang with the big dogs, like Evo's on the roadcourse ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

arm0313 is an unknown
*sigh*
post #3 of 3 Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
a honda that out handles the wrx? It's possible certainly. Handling is mostly governed by tire grip, weight (including distribution), and geometry. Exit and entry speed are more complicated questions that effect racing as opposed to just handling and have a lot to do with the total car. If a car has better grip and less weight than you with a decent geometry, yes it will handle better. Is that what you're asking? That's just simple physics.

As for the WRX understeering, that's very true. The stock WRX drives more like a FWD car than a RWD car. More understeer than your civic? I'd doubt that, but that's not your question. WRX's are easily modified and improved. Understeer can specifically be addressed with a fatter rear swaybar and a pair of rear endlinks. If you want to make your car oversteer, you can too. It's just not going to make it any faster.

WRX's have different advantages and disadvantages against a civic. Comparing the two would be fairly in depth and I don't have the energy. You're very vague in what you're asking here. Can a WRX be faster than a civic? Sure. Stock for stock it already is through almost all tests. Can it be modified to handle a modified civic? Well, that's just a question of which mods are on each and really impossible to answer vaguely.

Can a WRX "hang" with an sti and an evo? Sure. Are we talking stock evos and STis? For not a large sum of money, you could beat either car in almost any test of capability. The suspension in particular of both cars is easily beatable with tires, swaybars, and coilovers. In terms of power, a turbo swap would out class either stock offering.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement