Wilwood Brakes - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

BizTerp is an unknown
Wilwood Brakes

Hope everyone is having a good start to the New Year.

I'm looking for some feedback on Willwood brake kits. I've done some searching and everyone of these types of threads seems to turn into a lecture/debate of what big brake kits are beneficial for (no offense intended Nose Nuggets, you've given some good advice). Let's assume here that I understand the physics behind the topic and am looking to upgrade my stock brakes so they don't melt during some upcoming HPDE sessions. My goal for 2009 is to be solo certified by the fall.

I'm running a Stage 2 '05 with Tein Flex coilovers and Khumo Ecsta SPT tires (will be upgrading to MX this Spring). Can anyone provide some feedback on the performance and durability of Wilwood brake kits on and off the track? Please include how many miles you've driven with them. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would absolutely recommend the STI Brembo kit. It's made for the WRX / STI. From all the research I've done, aftermarket Calipers not specifically tailored to your car can increase stopping distance. Why pay $1000 + for that?

I have Wilwoods 4 piston kit on my car. I will never recommend it to anyone. I kid you not, my caliper cracked right in the middle. No seams or bolts or anything there, just cracked in the middle of the face of the caliper. It squirts brake fluid everywhere. I'm getting the replacement this week, but seriously this is supposed to be a high performance brake company. I've never even heard of a factory caliper doing that.

Probably a fluke, but still, I'll never buy their stuff...after I spend this $250... for one caliper replacement...

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
i was actually thinking of buying these brakes sometime, but after reading this im not to sure
Wilwood Big Brake Kit - Front & Rear, 140-7005 & 140-7006, Subaru Impreza WRX Wilwood Big Brake Kit - Front & Rear
#4 Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
04 STi brembos with race pads, new lines, and good fluid should be plenty. If you need more than that for what you're doing, well, you probably aught to have a roll cage.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

BizTerp is an unknown
Thanks guys. I talked to my performance shop (Agile Auto) and they did not have very good things to say about Wilwood either. They're about half the cost of the Brembo kits (new), but I guess you get what you pay for.

As a more affordable option to the brembo upgrade, Agile recommended Hawk pads (HP Plus for the track only and HP for the street), DBA 4000 rotors, stainless lines, Motul fluid (which I already have) and upgrading to the '06+ 4 Pot WRX front calipers ($700). Has anyone tried a similar setup or known of anyone who has used this type of setup on the track? I probably should have titled this thread "Brake Upgrade for Track". Oh well.
#6 Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
i have a 2007 wrx tr that has the stock red caliper brakes. I upgraded pads to HPS and the lines to goodridge stainless steel and i noticed a MUCH needed improvement in my brakes. i later added the perrin master brace cyl. and it seems to have helped out too. I went from my brakes being not near good enough to more than enough. I also had a 2005WRX before my 07 and the brakes on that are even worse.
#7 Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

BizTerp is an unknown
Just thought I'd give a quick update on the brakes. I ended up getting up a set of 06-07 calipers, DBA 4000 rotors, Technafit stainless lines, Hawk HPS pads, and Motul fluid from Annapolis Subaru. I'm really happy with how everything feels. The brake feel is much more firm and linear than the stock setup, and performed great during Autocross. I'm not sure how the fade would be on a track, but I've decided on Autocross insead of track days, so it's not really an issue right now. It's also great to know I the calipers are open, so I can easily swap out pads if the need ever arises. I definitely recommend this setup for anyone with an 02-05, looking for an "affordable" brake upgrade.