Why upgrade your brakes? - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 04-17-2006, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
REGARDLESS of this discussion. i SERIOUSLY think you need to go get in your car right now and settle this thing. get going 50mph and stand on the brake peddle untill you come to a complete stop. then get out, and look at your tire marks if your still suspicious.

in a safe deserterd road where there is no chance of seeing someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 04-18-2006, 11:42 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
hold the phone a sec. are you trying to say the tires have nothing to do with slowing down the car?
I think possibly he is saying the ABS is hindering the true maximum braking potential of the factory discs/pads.Could be wrong.
#63 Old 04-18-2006, 12:21 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
ABS does hinder ultimate stopping distances. ABS was designed to be able to easily control your car while heavy/emergency braking.... I was taught threshold braking in driver's ed and in driving school.

And Shoaf i agree with Nose Nuggets. You definitely feel the pedal pulse when ABS is functionning.

Nuggets that's a great description of how ABS feels. Nice One.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#64 Old 04-19-2006, 04:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
http://autopedia.com/stuttgart-west/...Physics11.html

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?...d=19&Itemid=50

they explain why you need bigger brakes but nuggets kinda is right...ish
#65 Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

jlagace is an unknown
i just wanted to remind you all once again that the tires are the ONLY thing in contact with the road.

to stop the car, the most important thing is the friction between the tires and the road. that's the bottom line. it's an engineering impossibility that changing your brake lines, rotors, pads, or anything like that is going to change the amount of friction between your tires and the road.

02 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue
#66 Old 04-19-2006, 08:08 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
jlagace, agreed, but I think what people are trying to say is that all things equal, with good tires, bigger brakes do help.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#67 Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
jlagace, agreed, but I think what people are trying to say is that all things equal, with good tires, bigger brakes do help.
yeah we know what your trying to say man. im just trying to explain that your wrong.

joker: this came from one of your articles

Quote:
There is a common fallacy out there that increasing your brake pad size in terms of swept area will increase the stopping power of your car through greater friction. From a standpoint ignoring operating temperatures this is in fact false.
Quote:
This does not mean that a larger brake pad does not help braking! The benefit of a large brake pad comes into effect when you consider thermal dissipation.
which i think is what ive been saying, the whole friggin time.
#68 Old 04-21-2006, 06:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
ok ok ;p guess too much gran turismo 4 in my brain
#69 Old 04-21-2006, 12:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
How much brake fade do you think you're going to get driving around town ffs? Vented disks, huge calipers, shiney break lines, give me a break. You're just doing that for looks.
#70 Old 04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

here in monterey, if i where to drive my car full throttle, and waite untill the last second to brake for every turn. i would probably have to drive around for 45 minutes to an hour before i noticed brake fade.

if i was driving on laguna Seca. i would see brake fade by turn 9.
#71 Old 04-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Garage
then if you took your wrx onto laguna seca, you would definately want better pads/caliper/disks/lines
#72 Old 04-23-2006, 04:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
well the idea is bigger brakes are better overall, otherwise why do porsches have bigger brakes
#73 Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker97
well the idea is bigger brakes are better overall, otherwise why do porsches have bigger brakes
because a porsche owner would be seriulsy pissed off if he took it to a track for a track day and he couldent do two consecutive hot laps.
#74 Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Garage
There was a very in depth article in SCC this month that was focused on busting bad tuner info hype. Basically backed up everything Nose Nuggets is saying about brakes. Upgraded breaks are for resisting brake fade, not for stopping the car. The tires are the sole measure of how fast the car can stop assuming the brakes are not hot.

They even did a full array of tests on a Scion Tc brakes later in the magazine. Now, if you've seen those cars, you'll know that the rear disk brakes and pads especially are some of the smallest you'll EVER see on a car. They upgraded the tires and measured 70-0 stopping distance at 215 feet. Then they upgraded the disks, pads, lines, and fluid. Added roughly 20 pounds of unsprung weight, and tested again and it came out to 217 feet.

Now, of course those brakes would be rather overworked on a track car as they are tiney but clearly for stopping, stock brakes do just fine.
#75 Old 04-24-2006, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

I know i know, as ludicrous as it sounds, i actually do know a little about what im talkin about.

But dont let this be the end of the thread. If people have more brake, braking, or other brake related questions, keep em commin'. Ill be here all week.