Why are my rotors warping? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

bocaks is an unknown
only thing I can think of that is not really touched on above is parking with the rotors hot. the space under the pad stays hot longer and can warp rotors. but it take a good amount of heat to accomplish this. just a thought. I would lean towards somthing like a slightly bent caliper mount or wheel bearing etc.any small problem in those areas could be the culprit. I am very hard on my breaks and so far aside from eating pad sets for supper I have had no problems, and I routinely see the glow on the curb from the drivers seat. I just changed my rotors for the first time, I went with brembo drilled/slotted to help stave off the fade that hard breaking down 100mph will cause. I have to assume that your breaking style must be much easier on this equipment than mine, which is why i think it is in the alignment of the rotor.

good luck

its all coming together, after a year.
02 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
I was doing some spirited driving last night, probably the fastest I've driven in a while on some back roads and my car is definitely shuddering under heavy braking. It definitely feels like warped rotors so I guess I'm going to put the turbo on hold and look a brakes now.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#18 Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
you wont only feel warped rotors under heavy braking. you will feel it at all speeds, under all braing conditions.
#19 Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
you wont only feel warped rotors under heavy braking. you will feel it at all speeds, under all braing conditions.
What do you think I could attribute that to? Shotty pads?

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#20 Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i would re-test the issue and confirm it only happens under heavy braking. try varying degrees of braking at verying speeds from 70mph to 10 mph and post your results.
#21 Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well I know for one thing on my drive to work today there was no sudder whatsoever, as there was no heavy braking, from all different speeds because I take backroads and the highway. I'll retest a bit tonight when I get home from work.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#22 Old 03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sirtex is an unknown
It seems that the rotors warp slowly. After trying some of the brake stops that Nuggets suggested, a couple of 80 to 50 stops on the highway, the goddamned things are warped again. ARRGGHH!!! Honestly, these damn brake issues have me thinking of trading for another honda or jeep. This is super frustrating.

Anyway, I do feel the pulsation under light braking. Not as pronounced obviously, more the wobble thing. I really have to be feeling for the pulsation under light loads, as they have just started warping again. I did have to hit the brakes hard today on the highway. I love getting cut off. They shook the whole front end, but still slowed me very quickly. I guess I'm going to go back to my dealer and ask them to check these things ya'll are talking about. So if there are any more ideas out there, please throw them my way so I can take them to the dealer this Saturday.

As always thanks for the help
#23 Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

there is no way a couple stops from 80 would warp your rotors. something else is wrong. nor is it the car. if anything its the combination of pads and rotors. im not sure if you have noticed, but no one else here warps rotors like you do so dont go doing something rash like selling the car.

have a mechanic drive the car and tell you what he thinks.
#24 Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
You have something else wrong. Something is bent, loose, wore out or broke. I'm with Nose have a mechanic check it. Ask them to check the rotors for run out, this how far the rotor will wobbble, for lack of a better trem, while rotor is turned. It sounds like a front end problem to me. I would have everything checked up front if your are under a warranty.
#25 Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
i would re-test the issue and confirm it only happens under heavy braking. try varying degrees of braking at verying speeds from 70mph to 10 mph and post your results.
I drove yesterday and last night braking from all different types of speed while varying my pressure on the brake pedal. The shudder only comes from high speeds (60+) and hard braking. Under any other kind of braking I do not feel it at all.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#26 Old 03-28-2008, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

bent wheel or unbalanced wheel would be my first guess.
#27 Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

It wouldn't be likely considering I've had a total of three different sets of tires on the car, two sets of rims and all have functioned the same way, including when I first got it.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#28 Old 03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

hard to say then. probably something suspension related but i just cant visualize what that could be right now. possibly a way ####ed up wheel bearing. i just dont know at this point. i would want to get it on a lift and check all the suspension.
#29 Old 03-29-2008, 04:52 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
the oe torque on the lugs is 68 ft lbs- 95 is WAY too high of torque!

I've slowly upped the torque on mine as they would loosen during track days- I've settled at 75 ft lbs

Are the rotors "warped" or are you experiencing DTV (disc thickness variation)? Rotors rarely get warped, they often get DTV- big difference

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#30 Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxstyles is an unknown
bump....