4Likes
  • 1 Post By arcticscythe
  • 1 Post By arcticscythe
  • 1 Post By pzr2874
  • 1 Post By PROImportTuners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Whitelines Anti-Sway

2013 Subaru WRX Hatch, Satin Pearl White
Mostly Stock, AEM panel filter 13,750 Miles
Roof Rack and Bike Rack externally
91 Octane Shell

So tax return came in and that means Ive got a bit of spending cash to start playing with my baby. I have a laundry list of upgrades but I feel like the most lacking part of the 2013 hatch is the amount of body roll in the rear.

Issue : When cornering the back end seems to bounce a bit and on quick switch backs the suspension does not control nearly well enough to inspire confidence on the road.

Hypothesis : I have been talking to my local tuner for weeks about the best resolution for my body roll issues and he recommended Whiteline anti-sway bars. Adjustable in the front and rear 22mm matching. Matching sizes and mis-matching adjustment points, soft on the front and middle on the rear to help resolve some of the understeer that was leftover from the factory. He also recommended Kartboy endlinks to help tighten everything up.

Fit/Finish : The parts arrived from amazon very nicely wrapped in bubble wrap and super heavy cardboard boxes. they included the locks and the new FADE-TO-BLACK bushings, while everything was well packed i did find that the paint job on one of the braces was a little less than stellar, the clear-coat looked/felt great but the under color was a bit uneven looking. The Kartboys parts looked great and fit like a glove.

Install : I ordered the parts earlier this week and had my tuner handle the install. In this case i am glad to pay my tuner to take care of the swaybars. The cost was fair and I didn’t have to deal with stuck end link bolts under the car while it was on ramps. The install process Is not difficult, as long as you have a lift available and a good set of hand tools ( and a pneumatic wrench ) its about a 2 hour job start to finish. During the installation the technician also switched the struts to prevent the springs from nudging the new thicker end links. The install is pretty straight forward with the provided picture instructions, The install for the endlinks was just as simple but it did require the use of the kartboys spacer set. This allows the endlinks to site vertically to avoid undue stress on the bolts that connect them. The install is even easier if you have your tuner install them for you : )

Driving : As soon as my tuner was complete i took it out to my favorite canyon road, The difference between the factory 13mm rear and the now braced, spaced, and upgraded 22mm Whiteline swaybar is like night and day. The handling is tremendously more responsive and i feel like i can hold a much more aggressive line without the body roll and understeer robbing me of my control. At the top of my drive i pulled over and gave her a push sideways at the bike rack and she moved very little. this additional stiffness is how the Subaru should have setup the suspension.

Recap: I picked up Whitelines 22mm front and rear adjustable sways with kartboys endlinks and spacers. the install isnt difficult with the right tools (very easy if you pay someone to take care of it) and the results are like night and day, i would recommend that everyone upgrade the factory anti-sway bars and I would definitely recommend it as a first mod to anyone looking for a better overall ride.

TLDR : Whiteline anti-sway bars are an awesome investment. : )
Attached Images

Nathan21 likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1

Last edited by arcticscythe; 02-11-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Good post. This is pretty close to the top of my mods list.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Thanks,

After driving a few other performance cars I think this is where the wrx was lacking, it feels like a brand new car. : )

Jason
post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I have 3 qualms with the 08+ wrx's, aside from the interior and audio, I know what kind of car it is, so I won't touch that.

1) Sloppy shifter, the amount of slop in the stock shifter is absurd for a 26k+ vehicle. Luckily a short shifter and some cheap polyurethane bushings fixes this.

2) Suspension, the suspension is sloppy, a few mods and that's better.

3) Brakes, I will never understand why they did away with the WRX's having the 4 pot brakes, they look better and perform better, even when they added the bigger turbo, they still didn't upgrade the brakes, you think it would be a logical upgrade along with more power.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Im in exactly the same boat. Had them install the STI short throw from the factory. just took care of the sway bars and end links and ive been eying the grimm-speed master cylinder brace and stainless lines for a while.

Probably going to wait on the brake parts until I need to change them, then ill have the wheels off anyway and i can swap the lines then.

AP and a tune are next on the list : )

Jason
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Great writeup!

You only forgot one thing: We would have hooked you up with a discount if you asked!

Swaybars look great and I definitely agree with your assessment of their performance improvement. With better swaybars and a bit more balanced alignment settings the understeer can be greatly reduced!

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
@ PROImportTuners, My tuner tried to order them but they were 3 weeks out, I ended up doing amazon 2nd day from my cellphone while I was talking with the shop. I didnt even think to call you guys till i got home and saw the loves you post but ill definitely be calling you guys for my access-port later this month : )
PROImportTuners likes this.

Jason
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROImportTuners View Post
With better swaybars and a bit more balanced alignment settings the understeer can be greatly reduced!
When set up correctly.
PROImportTuners likes this.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
@ PROImportTuners, My tuner tried to order them but they were 3 weeks out, I ended up doing amazon 2nd day from my cellphone while I was talking with the shop. I didnt even think to call you guys till i got home and saw the loves you post but ill definitely be calling you guys for my access-port later this month : )
no problem. We'll be happy to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
When set up correctly.
Yes of course.
pzr2874 likes this.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement