Subaru WRX Forum banner

Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Handling Upgrade

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  titter 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting a used Whiteline ALK kit for my '04 WRX (60,000km on it). Woo hoo! :)

Discussion Paper
http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect%20of%20WL%20ALK_b.pdf

Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2007 WRX / STI)
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2007 WRX / STI) KCA359 at RallySportDirect.com

Fitting Instructions
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/catalog_photos/instructions/whiteline/whi_kca359.pdf

I'm hoping that since I'm already running Energy Suspension's Poly bushing kit (see picture below), that I won't see any measurable increase in noise, harshness and vibration [NHV] on my daily driven car that I wish to still handle superbly at the track.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Honestly, none really come to mind. That being said, I did this mod over 6 years ago. this mod is "correcting" suspension geometry, not necessarily reducing ride height (of the body) in a significant way. I already had lowering springs at the time (Prodrive blues) which leveled out the ride height of my car. After installing the ALK, my fender gaps were still equally level.

That being said, the front subframe will be lowered (relative to the body) by the same height of those rectangular blocks (approximately an inch I believe). I've never had any instance of scraping or clearance issues because of this change.

Looking forward to hearing your first impressions!

#6 ·
When I was waiting for my tune at P&L Motorsports I was shooting the breeze with the folks in there and I asked the specific question..."What's next?" Gauges or sways & strut bars? They asked "what are you going to do with it?" I said DD and autocross. They said "Neither,get the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Handling Upgrade." So this is going on my Christmas list.

Reactions: LW_Black4
#10 ·
So I am going to throw this out there and get get everyone's opinion..good or bad.
I was doing some research on this kit and came across something very interesting. Seem the stock Forester transverse link is different than the Impreza models. Upon further inspection I noticed something.
Stock Forester on the left, Whiteline ALK on the right...Notice anything? I may be the odd man out, but looks to me that the stock Forester part is the same as the WL ALK. I am going to order the Forester part and swap out the bushing to see if it makes a difference. Just food for thought.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
I am going to order the Forester part and swap out the bushing to see if it makes a difference. Just food for thought.
Neat observation Keith, and inquiring minds want to know how it works out.

I got mine installed today, along with the STi front control arms so we'll be able to compare notes when we finally get together at a track day.

Here are the pictures, and sorry about the chassis salt - it's winter time, damn it!

Attachments

#13 ·
Also note here in the Whiteline ALK kit install instructions the spacers used to mount the subframe slightly lower, which might be to provide clearance for the ALK rear bushing support which has a lower drop.

The kit gives the front suspension geometry 1/2 degree more of positive caster
, which reportedly provides better traction during braking and acceleration.

It apparently does this despite my idea that More positive caster would make the geometry seem Less agile.

Attachments

#14 ·
I liked this Whiteline quote in Legacycentralbbs forums:

"- Static or dynamic caster and "caster loss"
Whiteline tries to focus on dynamic alignment figures rather than absolute static numbers. A good example is the ALK, it may only add +0.5 deg caster but the bush and mount design is tailored to minimize dynamic "caster loss". This is a significant issue that is being addressed more and more by the OE engineers and is of particular importance for performance brands like Porsche, Ferrari etc. .....

------------------------------------------------

[The Whiteline anitlift kit was primarily designed to remove the stock anti-lift geometry by relocating the rear of the front lower control arm pivot point down by 19mm. This was its main purpose as we found that the stock geometry promoted power understeer on corner exit.

However, being big positive caster fans, we also threw in some extra sprinkles with an additional +0.5 degree static caster and redesigned the bush to deliver around +1.0 degree dynamic caster by reducing "caster loss". To help understand the importance of this from a chassis design point of view, think of when you're most in need of extra caster, initial turn-in or corner entry. And unfortunately most of the time the car at this point is either decelerating at a coast or under brakes which is when the wheel is trying to bury itself into the back of the guard (resisting body moving forward) deflecting the bushings and loosing caster. (Duncan, thanks for the summary)

15 years ago, performance cars like the Porsche 928, Honda NSX and others would suffer up to -2.5 degree dynamic caster loss which is a worry if you only started with +2.5. We know this because of a paper published by the lead chassis designer of the MacLaren F1 supercar who quoted that this was one of their main targets and goals for the dynamic behaviour.

Interestingly, he also quoted that the ideal solution revolved around a carbon-fibre composite suspension carrier but that was ruled out as being too expensive.... how much did that car retail for?

It's always a compromise.

Hope that helps

Best
Jim

Whiteline Automotive]"

#19 ·
I've been looking at the new 818 coupe...While technically not a Subaru, it still is. I can still tune it and use some of the parts I have laying around, while still getting rid of my 12 year old car....

Reactions: sleepr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.