Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wheel offset

31K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 WRX. I'm fixing to get new wheels. The ones I want get are a +42 offset. I know that going lower that +48 isn't a great idea, but what kind of problems could tis offset cause, and is it safe? Thanks

#3 ·
I have 40 offset 18x8's on mine. (I bought it like this) I can't take more than 3 people in the car because the tires rub on the wheel wells. I haven't hurt the car but I drive real careful over bumps with multiple people riding along. I also had to have spacers in the rear springs to give a little more height. It's looks awesome but I don't think it's worth it. When the current tires wear out I'm going after some Raze R74 wheels from edgeracing.com.

#4 ·
42 offset rims are not dangerous on a wrx, they're just detremental to handling. The suspension is designed to have the center of your rim be at +53mm further out than center. Moving it 11mm will reduce the effectiveness of your suspension and wear components out faster.

If your goal is to make your car handle better or even maintain stock handling, it's unwise to stray too far from the stock offset.

#8 ·
that data is taken verbatum from North Ursalia's sticy on NASIOC, not that you sited it. However, it's out of context. He was trying to give numbers to preserve the stock distance from the fender well, not to propose good wheel choices. Also, his assumption that there is no extra space in a WRX with 6.5" rims between the rim and the fender well is false.

Maintaining stock distance from the wheel well would look like this:
6.5": +53
7.0": +47
7.5": +40
8.0": +34
etc

The thing is however that there is more room in there. About 15mm of room on the stock 02-05s. You COULD fit +68 offset 6.5" rims if you WANTED to. These would be closer to the max...
6.5": +68
7.0": +62
7.5": +55
8.0": +49

You'll note the STi's use high offset rims at 7.5" and 8.0" wide... WELL out of the spec that guy proposes. The 05-07 use 17x8" at +53 which is 6-10mm off of the spec you gave. You shouldn't need much more proof than that.

However the stock suspension as is mentioned 1000x times in that thread is for a +53 offset. What you want to keep is something close to that offset regardless of the rim width. Because you only have so much room from the fender well, that effectively limits the width you can go with.

oldfartracer, I think it's great you want to help but simply posting data from somewhere else you don't really understand is not going to help anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.