Subaru WRX Forum banner

What should be the correct tire pressure?

29K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  HellTriX 
#1 ·
Ok, so I got some SSR wheels and some Potenza RE01R tires from the TireRack (Awesome service), the set came with 35-40 psi already in, I know this is way to much but I dont know what the correct psi level (F&R) should be (for daily use). I thought maybe the recommended psi levels for the stock 07 STi wheel/tire combo should work since my set is the same size, but I'm not sure since the tires are different.

If anybody knows please let me know, I'll appreciate it!

If it helps the wheels are 17x8 and the tires are 225.45.R17...

Thanks guys!:cool:

#6 ·
^ no that's incorrect. It's recommended to run more pressure front than the rear - this is due to the weight distribution f/r and keeping tire heights close to even for the benefit of the diffs- right in the owners manual :)

I'm running RE01R's as well- daily driving 35/33, for autox 37-40/33-36 dependent on surface/conditions.

#15 ·
^^^

Then why do you allude to the fact that you know the recommended psi levels for the STI tires here?

No man, I'm asking the recommended psi combination for a wheel/tire combo that is the same size as the OEM STi one (07 at least). I mentioned it just in case somebody here owns an STi and could give that info to me.

Sorry for the confusion!

#17 ·
well those are the same size tires on the 06's and i looked in my owner's manual and it recommends 36 up front and 30 rear. i also have a tire guide in my car for tires in general and it say to use the recommended tire pressure located in the drivers side door jam as stated by nagyhead. im sure it's probably different for u since your engine is a 2.0 im sure u dont need as much tire pressure since it weighs less upfront.

#18 ·
36/30 that's interesting- quite a divergence front to rear, the 04 STi #'s of 33/32 were for the 215 tire and 7.5" rim- the common dominator is to run a little more presure front vs rear- the exception being motorsports applications where your trying to influence handling via pressures.

#21 ·
I'm pretty sure the 04 had 225s too.

Here's the differences from 04 to 05 given by Car & Driver

"There's a new limited-slip diff up front, new shrouding to clean up airflow beneath the car, aluminum lateral suspension links at the rear, a quicker steering ratio, wider wheels (8.0 inches versus 7.5), and a wider—by 0.4 inch—rear track."

#25 ·
Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when encountering potholes or debris in the road, as well as experience irregular tread wear. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities as well causing the vehicle to ride harsher and transmit more noise into its interior. However, higher inflation pressures reduce rolling resistance slightly and typically provide a slight improvement in steering response and cornering stability. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures.

Source: Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure – Correct, Underinflated and Overinflated

#31 ·
On my stock summer Dunlops for 2009 WRX I found best setting at 37psi front and 35psi rear (cold). Ride was a bit harsher, but since i drive pretty spirited they provided best wear pattern at this pressure.

Now I gotta find optimal pressure for my new BFG G-force T/A KDW NT tires..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.