Subaru WRX Forum banner

UTEC of suspensions- in my opinion

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  syncopatio 
#1 ·
www.praxissystems.com

Push button air-ride suspension system. like no other. I believe this will revolutionize WRX suspension upgrades, and trump most of everything on the market once its available.

Opinions?

And please state if you've already spent your suspension money or not?
(I like to know who might have bias and who doesn't)

#2 ·
mmmmmm, this is questionable. others have posted about it, and id like to see how it does. i dont see it having long term durability, though. as many air suspensions as ive worked on....i see it having issues....especially in racing. we'll have to see.....

#4 ·
the vast majority of which being luxury, ie lincoln and cadillac. a couple of mini trucks, with firestone bags and fast valves, but i know why they failed....user abuse. have had experience with some trucks, but that was due to overloading/age. the main problem were the bags breaking, or air leaks. cause if you have an air leak, you are screwed....the vehicle wont go anywhere. deflates all the rest of the sytem, unless you install check valves, but then you cant adjust the pressure down any in the chambers. how is the air supply system on praxxis? i didnt see it on their site.... is it a seperate compressor? or an engine mounted setup? were is the storage tank? and control valves?

#5 ·
and do they mention that it changes the camber, too? dropping the -
25mm wont change it too much, but the -50mm setting will.....effects toe setting too....or did they make a new "revolutionary" smart outer tie rod end to compensate? just wondering, cause when i dropped mine 1.2" in the front, toe was changed about .52 degrees, which is VERY big change, in both tire wear, handling, and general road feel.

#6 ·
just my theories...im interested, but personally, i dont see it being a feasable alternative. subaru had experience with air suspensions on teh mid nineties legacy, and didnt have good luck......but that was them. a different company may have better luck, but i think bridgestone should stick to heavy trucks, and making bags for the mini trucks.....just my opinion.

#7 ·
Not certain

I'm certain they mentioned the "track" mode was for "off highway" use only... another words, race days.

They said is affected camber in the "negative" direction, which is a good thing for race setup. "track" setting is the extreme stiff setup and lowered 2 inches, with double the springrate, extreme damping and neutral understeer. Sport is said to be highway usable at 25mm and similar handling to that of the STi.

Apparently, the system has a remote resevoir stored in the trunk used to adjust the spring rate...

Anyways, i sent them an email yesterday with a handful of questions about durability and long term use and abuse. And how "poppable or weak" was the "air chamber"... And just a basically what about hitting huge potholes and large bumps at construction points on the highway?

We'll see what they have to say for themselves... and i will definitely wait till some independent reviews are coughed up of the product before shellin' out $3,200.

Thanks for your 2 cents and knowledge, i appreciate it.

#9 ·
Here is the Praxis email response to my Q's

Ronald,

The air sleeve (bladder) is actually quite durable ... a 4-layer composite of rubber and fabric reinforced rubber ... much like a bias-ply tire. In the field, it is actually quite unusual to fail an air-spring due to road debris ... even Land Rover does not see a need to shield the spring. In the unusual event that an air-spring fails, replacement parts will be available.

Thanks,
William S. Niaura
Bridgestone/Firestone Vehicle Systems
Manager - Technology Coordination
1200 Firestone Parkway
Akron, OH 44317

#10 ·
yeah.....the same bags ive had to replace in a few mini trucks...but that was due to layin frame.....and getting the bag in a bind. and the Land Rover bags are on the rear axle, inboard of the tires......like a lincold. a scooby its about two inches from a tire spinning 55 mph.......we'll have to see....
JOEY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.