Subaru WRX Forum banner

Understeer Compensation...

9K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  wagonracer 
#1 ·
Well, I am well aware of what a sway bar does, and I'm also somewhat in tune with all the movement going on in the chassis while hitting turns and such. I want to improve handling all around and rid some if not all of the understeer in the process. I can't buy everything all at once so I'm looking at lining things up in a strategic manner for purchase. My options have been narrowed to the Front Strut Tower Brace or Rear Sway Bar and End Links for the first purchase. It's a little confusing as to how much effect I will see with either by itself and I won't be getting the front sway for a bit yet.

So what would be the better first pick of the two (even though the rear sway and end links count as one and will be significantly more expensive than the strut tower brace). I'm leaning towards the strut brace along with the stiffer transmission mount...

Any input and experience would be greatly appreciated on this! Thanks and Happy New Year! :rocks:

#28 ·
Holy crap! 600 HP! hahahaha. The Dominator 4.0XT-R Full Ball Bearing Turbocharger, looks pretty sick indeed >:D I still would blow my tranny so first things first... Thanks for the jolt of excitement though, LOL.

#29 ·
Newbe bringing up an old thread with a new question (see, I used the search function:D). I will pickup up my '11 WRX wagon in a week. Initial mods will be VERY limited due to the potential for warranty issues (I just don't want the potential hassle, after having had both good & bad luck in the past). I'm basing initial mod ideas on what I have read over the past 6 weeks that the car has been on order, since I haven't driven a WRX long enough to really feel details.

ANYWAY, my question is how much benefit can you get out of changing the rear endlinks & sway bar mounting bushings, but leaving the stock bars? It seems that getting rid of the slop and allowing the rear bar to more quickly react would be quite a benefit on initial turn-in, and the lack of flex in the non-bar components would emulate a somewhat larger than stock sized bar. Of course, there would not be as much benefit as a larger bar, but as a step in the right direction, would I notice it?

Next question, assuming I did this to the rear bar, should I also do the same to the front? Seems to me I would trade the quicker response (nice) for a higher understeer tendency, offsetting the gains made in the rear.

Final question: where to order bushings? Just try the links identified above for aftermarket bars?

#30 · (Edited)
WaveBye, I've not seen what kind of links and bushings the 2011s have on them, but if you plan to upgrade the bar in the future, you'll end up replacing the bushings again, due to size differences. Replacing the links is not going to increase the rigidity of the rear bar noticeably IMO. Personally, I would wait until you replace the bar and select your parts to work well together.

I think you can get as much reduction in understeer by changing your tire pressures (always the first place to start when setting up a car for the track) More pressure in the rear, or less in the front will reduce understeer.

Here's the simple view: Whichever end of the car is losing grip first (understeer front, oversteer rear) you want to soften the suspension, or stiffen up the opposite end (you can start with tire pressure). That's why a larger stiffer rear bar is the first step in improving the handling of the WRX. Many of the rally/rallycross guys simply remove the front bar altogether, but they want a very compliant suspension for soft surfaces. For better grip on pavement, stiffer is the way to go.

I hope all that babbling helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.