Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tuning 09 WRX Suspension (Noob)

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Terror Tumor 
#1 ·
Think I might have posted this in the wrong forum, so trying here. Sorry - this is going to be a long noob post...

Looking for some input on improving the steering feel/quickness on a 2009 WRX. Long story but I basically have the option to either own one with about 2k miles or sell it for cash. My current car is an 04 Mini Cooper S Works which I love but it has over 100k miles on it. I like the idea of having four doors, more space and AWD as I have kids and am a skier, but I drove the WRX and was pretty underwhelmed relative to the Mini.

Outside the turbo lag, the cars are pretty comparable in the acceleration department (my car is at about 220hp and only 2500lbs), but the WRX feels generally soft and unconnected compared to the Mini. I'm wondering if there are fairly easy and dramatic ways to improve the way it feels. Here are my main complaints:

- Steering feel is overly light and numb (too much assist and not enough feedback)
- Steering is not nearly quick enough (WRX ratio is 15.1 versus 13.2 for the Mini)
- Turn in is delayed not as crisp as I would like
- Too much body roll and pitch

Basically, I would really like to love this car as my Mini is pretty old and the WRX seems really practical, but I would need to stiffen/sharpen it up a whole lot. Wanted to see if that is possible without spending huge $$. Maybe there is just no way to make a 3200lb WRX feel like a 2500lb Mini...

Any advice yall could offer would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well yeah you're comparing apples to oranges with the tiny Mini but there are a few ways to improve handling and keep it under a grand.

The first thing to do is the sway bars. They're horribly undersized from the factory and a good set (Whiteline, Perrin, COBB if they still exist) will help a lot. When you do the bars, just make sure you do the endlinks at the same time.

The next step would be springs. There aren't a lot of great options for the 08+ WRX's but try to find either a spring/strut combo that works together, or just a good set of springs that won't kill the struts over time (aka not too high of a spring rate)

Other than that you can do bushings (I've done the rear subframe kit and plan on the rear diff lockdown kit). Those will help stiffen it up a bit and keep it comfortable. Also, you can go deeper and add bracing that didn't come from the factory. Strut tower braces are debatable if they even do much to help out, but there are some good cross member braces and what not that will help.

After that you'd be on to coil-overs and a truly good kit will run you at least $1700.

For steering you can look at a positive steering response system/anti lift kit. I'm pretty sure Whiteline and Perrin both make those and that will tighten up the feeling in the wheel.

Don't worry about the power difference either. The mini may have 220ish hp, but the wrx will lay that down at the wheels. Yes it weighs 800lbs less, but you can make up that difference with more power. If that really matters to you, buy a downpipe, and a COBB Accessport V2, and go stage II. That will probably put you in the 265-280 awhp range and will make you smile. You can do both of those for a grand easy, and make forget the mini.

#3 ·
Thanks. I had no issues at all with the power, just the handling. I assumed I would upgrade the swaybars, but was really looking for ways to sharpen up the steering. I will check out the PSRS options. Do you have any before/after experience with those?

#9 ·
I got the Whiteline ALK port version (not the comfort but not the race one either, the one in between...) and did not noticed any additional NHV, but then again I also have coilovers, all sorts of poly bushings ad Groupe N engine and tranny mounts...

As for the RCK, its just what c2b said, great improvement on a lowered car. The SRBK also helps sharpening things up, and remember an alignment job could make or break the handling of your car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.