Tires- Your opinion - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
My 2 choices would be Kuhmo Ectas 712 or Falken Azena, both are about $100 p/tire. The Falkens are a little better in the dry and the Kuhmo's are better in the rain. I live in Southern California, so Falkens are my choice, but I'm betting you've got more weather to deal with. Do the Kuhmo's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to nekard
All my friends buy to Kumhos. They are great tires but all these boys around 'ere have rwd cars. The tires tend to burn off rather quickly. My only concern is the same thing happening but to the sides of the tires. Any thoughts?

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
post #3 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
crank some camber into your suspension if you're worried about dusting the outside edges. Actaully without pillowballs on, only the front has camber adjustment. Remember also RWD guys go thru tires quick because they have trouble putting the power down. I should also mention Bridgestone RE 730's, also about $100 p/ tire, but I've heard they are niosey on the highway.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeWRX is an unknown
I have the Kumho 712's on my car and I was smokin' the ALL the porsche's at this saturday's autoX school. Hell I was faster than 50 of the other cars there and only 2 cars beat me, and they were using racing slicks. A lot of them were using race rubber (racing slicks) or AutoX tires they had brought too. I dont know how long they will last but at $80 a piece from tire rack they are still a bargain. Besides these are the tires I drive on every day so I would rather know how the car handles with them on than some tires I only use for AutoX's.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

phast is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phast
I'm going to puick up another set of stockers and throw a set of Kuhmos on for summer. Maybe I'll just get Kuhmos in April and then get another set of rims in the fall for some crappy snow tires. No wait... I'll just move to a warm state!

-jay
02 wrx wagon
VF30 and NAWZ powah!
post #6 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
LOL. Do you warm state move thing. But the kumhos arent loud on the highway or annoying in the city and give ,both, good traction in wet and dry conditions. That is what I am hearing, right? Then that might be the cheapest and best tire for the money. Thanks gents!

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
post #7 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
yep
post #8 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

phast is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phast
Err... oh yah. Get the Kuhmos!

-jay
02 wrx wagon
VF30 and NAWZ powah!
post #9 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Anybody know the average life of a set of Kumhos? 10k- 11k miles maybe? More? Who knows?! :lol:

2002 Silver WRX
post #10 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
I'd say life depends on driving style, Auto X's and canyon excusions. If you go to every Auto X you're talking about months not miles, other wise I bet you can get over 12-15K.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

elgorey is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to elgorey
I drive on Sumitomo HTRZ II and am very pleased with the performance. They are the same price (or cheaper) as the kuhmos. I havent driven Kuhmos to compare, but all the research I did, including people's opinions and most importantly a tire comparison by Tire Rack showed that the Sumitomos are better than the kuhmos in wet and dry.
Here is the link to Luke's from Tirerack discussion on the test
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64899

You also may want to try the new Federal 595s. Supposedly they are an amazing tire for the money.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Shawn is an unknown
I bought some SSR Competetions and S3 Pole Positions and LOVE them, 235/35/yr17's I believe. Sticky sticky sticky, almost too sticky (I like to pivot the car).

Shawn
post #13 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
How much were those bastards?! I got the the Kumhos and love them a bunch. With the 235 it fights the fender perfect and I like a meaty tire no matter what.

2002 Silver WRX
post #14 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Shawn is an unknown
You know, after I road in MikeWRX's car I realized that the 235/40-17 is too tall IMO. I mis-stated the 35 series previously, I have 40's. Mike's tires are a little less wide but his car seemed to roll a little less than mine, could've been in my head and the fact I was a passenger so maybe it "fealt" tighter. I think he agrees his car is tighter. It also could have something to do with the aluminum (I forget the part ) thingy's he put in the front, when I remember the part I'll post it.

One thing about the 235's is that they are a BIG tire for our car. I really can't wait to do some comparisons on the track to see which of the tires performs better. I would think technically the 235's have more contact patch, but due to the slightly taller sidewall I am curious which really sticks better and gives a better contact patch.

The tire rack had the best deal on the tires I found, ~$185ish I think. A little steep but everyone locally wanted damn near $300 for the same tire. I must say they stick pretty damn well and now that I am used to them are very predictable. At first they grabbed and chirp/bounced through really hard corners, now they slide right when I want/expect them too and grab right when expected.

Going forward I think I'm going to get some cheaper tires when I burn through these. If money was no object I'd just keep trying various flavors but thats not the case. If I burn through a set every 6 months then these are too much money for me. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

The wheels are nice, 7.5"'s wide and very light. I can't complain about them accept that they cost too much. I think they look good and they really are light. Though again, hindsight is 20/20, there are lighter rims out there that look damn good for a similar price range. I might have gone with something a little lighter if I had known about them before.

Shawn
post #15 of 17 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Shawn is an unknown
Heh, I knew you'd chime in :lol: , My stuff is delivered. Looks like I'm installing the exhaust Friday, the Defi boost gauge is in, I installed it last night and the Defi EGT and Oil Pressure is supposed to be here Friday as well. I might go ahead and stick the Unichip and other miscelaneous things in tonight :lol:

SWEEEEEEEEEET,

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement