Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tires

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was thinking about getting the Rota SVN wheels which are 18 x 8.5, I was wondering what is the widest tire I can get on an 05' WRX, I thought I read somewhere 225 was the widest without rubbing so I thought I would check with you guys. P.S. don't want to roll the fenders.

#3 ·
ya i read your tires/faq thing before posting this. so is an 8.5 inch rim to wide you think then even if the offset of the rim is 53mm? I saw also you 10-25% range for tire to rim with scale, so would for example 235/35/18's or 245/30/18's fit an 05 wrx without any problems or rubbing?

#4 ·
offset moves the rim IN not OUT.

LESS offset would move the wheel further from the car and give you more width. However, it also moves the center line of the rim which adversely effects the suspension.

If, say, 6" was as wide as I could go on +53 and I wanted to put a 8" rim on there without doing anything but moving offset, you would move the offset 1" (25mm) to +28. The 8" rim would be in exactly the same position relative to the fender well but would simply stick out further by 2"

#6 ·
8.5" at +47 would be the same distance from the fender well as a 8" rim at +53 yes but I think you're right at the edge at that point. I went 8" at +48

What good does an 8.5" rim do you anyway? They usually cost more. You're still going to want 225 tires. 245s are way too wide. 235s don't really work too well due to height issues (and they're prob too wide as well)

#9 ·
What good does an 8.5" rim do you anyway? They usually cost more. You're still going to want 225 tires. 245s are way too wide. 235s don't really work too well due to height issues (and they're prob too wide as well)
mosc, could you please, provide an advice what is the proper way to increase the tire contact patch? What mods would the suspension need to accomodate larger tires and wheels?

I am very interested in installing larger and better brakes, but in order to optimize their performance, one would need more grip to the ground. :)

#10 ·
basically in order to do anything substantial with enlarging the tires, you're looking at a wide body kit. Good ones will come with body work to swell the fenders and suspension components designed for less offset. There are several companies that make them for WRX's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.