Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tired suspension needs awakening!

6K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Whats up guys, so I have an 04 WRX with 130k on the clock, and needless to say the suspension is way past it's prime. Here's the deal, I don't track my car, and I haven't been to the drag strip is some years. Mainly because I'm at the point of a lot of maintenance needing done. Deployments and overall business has neglected my timing on getting things done. However, with tax season in bloom, it's time to get the car back to tip top shape. I do have a budget, so I can't go crazy. Here's what I'm thinking, and I'm just looking for some insight and possible recommendations that can help me do this effectively and with cost in mind.

For one, I have some STi springs I got a few years back, I just haven't done the deed yet. I'm not looking to make this an autox car or track it like I said. This is a daily driver with some fun weekend spirited driving. I've been looking at the KYB Excel-G struts/shocks to mate with the STi springs. One thing I find crazy is the tophats are damn near as expensive as the struts/shocks them selves. Would OEM tophats be a waste of time or should I just fork it out and get some Subaru Group N mounts, all though I'm not sure if they are of OEM quality or considered upgraded.

Also, I'm pretty sure my car could use a bushing refresher too, but that may have to wait. There is a lot of clunking coming from the right front which I'm thinking could be the shock itself or maybe endlinks?! I haven't looked yet, but I'm thinking it would be worth while to consider replacing endlinks. I'm not really sure though, that's why I'm here asking to see what you all think. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#3 ·
My OEMs are toast, but I've read that replacing them that it's good practice to change the tophats a long with it. If I can get the OEM hats, and the work fine I'll go that route. I thought about going with a coilover, but I'm not sure if that's mainly a street setup as I love to play offroad. I was given the STI springs so, I'm gonna rock those with something

#6 ·
So I've been researching, I have yet to find something that just hits the spot. With my current STi springs I'm looking at either KYB Excels as a OEM replacement. Or should I consider the Konis, Tokico HP (Blue) Haven't seen much about them, or maybe even the KYB AGX. Anyone to shed some light on this? Keep in mind, this is a daily driver, which enjoys spirited driving, and good ol weekend rally type fun.

#9 ·
noise is most likely endlink or wheel bearing. We've also seen strut bars snap entirely which makes a racket down there.

STi springs are proportionally correct (not overly lowered without enough spring rate). Things like Tien S-Tech's are garbage with too much drop and not enough spring rate increase. If you want improved handling you want a higher springrate. Done correctly that requires a beefier strut and a proportional drop to the increase in springrate. There are very few springs on the market that a proportionally correct. Getting a set of STi springs is a great way to go.

And any non-trashy spring you use instead of stock is going to require much better struts. I'm not familiar with the Excel-G's at all but KYB makes some great stuff. Just look at what springrates they're rated for in your application. For a while they were selling stock WRX-type struts that weren't really an upgrade so just make sure you know what you're getting. And yes, you need better mounts which are expensive when you change struts. Only struts I know of you can do without changing top hats are inserts and their compatibility is pretty limited (and they're not the ideal solution)

#10 ·
Thanks Mosc, I had dome some research on the STi springs.... Would it be worth my while to go for the KYB AGX since I'm doing it? However, the guys at importtuners.com showed me TruHart set, that are good bang for the buck, but I don't know anything about them?

#11 ·
I don't know their product line very well. The AGX is a known commodity. Not always the easiest thing to mount up to a WRX mattering on the year (helps if you know what top hat to get for it). They can certainly handle some STi springs or some RCE or Swift swings if you want to push it further.

#13 ·
I looked into an AGX/Koni yellow and RCE Black/Yellow combo a while back, but just haven't gotten the necessary funds together to pull the trigger. The guys at turninconcepts were really helpful when I was looking at stuff.

One thing you don't usually think about when you change out the struts is the bump stop. Once you lower the car any significant amount, the stocker will be too big and can cause some undesirable handling characteristics.

I would shoot the guys at TiC an email: turninconcepts.com

#17 ·
Definitely knocking on the door. I'm in Manhattan often! Kansas sucks for subies though, I'm used to the roads of Colorado. Looks like I'm gonna go with the AGX's to awaken my tired worn out stockers. Shortly after that some sways, however if my endlinks are the cause of noise, maybe sooner. I plan to look into it this weekend

#25 ·
I just had a second set of AGXs installed last month. I really like them...

Have you considered an Anti-Lift Kit? Here's a good explanation of what it can do.

Unabomber's Manifesto - ALK FAQ - MySubie.com

If you're replacing bushings, it would be an opportune time to install an ALK while "everything" is apart.

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing your feedback as you finish your various installations!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.