Subaru WRX Forum banner

Time to get some Lowering Springs

19K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Kjott21 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing some Tein H Tech lowering springs for my 04 WRX. I am not looking for performance; just want to change the stance. Do I need to get a camber kit also? Is there anything else I need?
Also, are springs difficult to install and are there any draw backs to changing between the stock spring and lowering springs multiple times (change in the summer and winter)? I would like to have the extra clearance for the 1 foot high snow drifts I need to go through in the winter.

#2 ·
It is not fun or easy to install springs. You'll have to borrow or buy some Coil Spring Compressors from a shop or auto parts store to do the install, I think AutoZone will loan them out with a credit card on file or a $75 deposit. Harbor Freight has cheepies for sale. Here is a guide you can check out to see what you're getting yourself into.

When you're finished with the install you'll need to get an alignment pretty quickly or you'll destroy your tires and possibly damage other parts of your suspension. This is something you'll end up having to pay for everytime you do this process so if you really plan on changing the springs a couple times a year you might want to look into one of those lifetime alignment deals.

#6 ·
I didn't mean to discourage you from doing this yourself. It is not impossibly difficult, just a bunch of bolts. The reason I linked the instructions was so that you could make sure you have everything you need before you get started.

#9 ·
Coilovers are better if you are going to use them, AutoX, TT, or something like that. They can be adjusted and all that, but takes either time and/or money. A good spring/strut combo is just as capable if the driver is also. Im by no means a suspension know-it-all, just giving you a heads up and a little of what I know.

Heres some small talk about certain springs in this thread and some other info about popular springs :http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/stiffy-time-25716/

As far as highly recommended struts people usually look at either the KYB AGX or KYB GR2

#11 ·
SO, if I upgrade my struts, they will last longer. Will it improve the ride? My 04 had Tien H techs with stock struts and it was rough. But that is to be expected. Also, if I am going to get new struts, why not wait until my stock ones crap out on me?

#12 ·
My favorite upgrade option is 04 STi struts and springs. They're very well balanced and a great compromise between firmness and drivability. The struts are quite a bit stronger than the WRX struts (which I believe are actually the same as on the stock impreza).

#14 ·
Yeah, it's probably 3/4 inch in the front and 1/2 inch in the rear or so. Not 100% sure. It's not as severe as H-techs but it also has a much stiffer spring rate. Ideally, any time you lower ride height, you aught to raise springrate.

#15 ·
I've had the Tein H Techs for a little over a year now, and about 10k miles. My struts aren't worn out yet, but I plan on replacing them with KYB's when they die.

I did get Camber Bolts for the rear. My car lines up within the stock specs, so my tire wear should be pretty good. I just got new tires b/c they were worn on the inside a bit, but my friend with a stock suspension had the same problem. I figured the extra $17 for the bolts was worth it just in case.

It did ride pretty rough in the winter when the temperature dropped below 15 degrees. I think the factory tires had a lot to do with this b/c those temps were rough with the stock suspension too.

As far as clearance, I plowed through 7 or 8 inches of snow without a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.