Subaru WRX Forum banner

Is there a Tire width no no's?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mrpoman99 
#1 ·
OK,

I'm confused :confused: I've done my research and have found that some people say you shouldn't go past a 215/50/16, I've heard people say they have been running a 225/45/16 with no problems, so on and so on. My question is; how wide can I go with stock wheels (rims) without risking rubbing or performance loss by still gaining the performance of width from my tire? From what I gather on my own with mixed info, I'd like to run a Kumho ECSTA ASX 215/50/WR16. What do you think? An all around good tire for performance and all season drivability? Thanks guys! !Thumbs Up -POMAN

#2 ·
The widest tire I would run on the stock 16"x6.5" rim is a 215, but I have heard of people running 225s. I upgraded to a 16"x7"(off an '01 RS) rim and am running a 225. I have also heard of people running 235s on the sedans(but not the wagon) with no rubbing on a wider rim. If you do want to upgrade to a 215/50/R16 the tire is going to be slightly smaller then stock making your speedo say you are going faster then you really are and there for decreasing gas milage and putting more miles on your car. With my 225/50/16 the tires are almost exactly the same, I'd say within .5" and some of that may have been from going from used tires to 4 brand new tires.

#3 ·
what about the width, will it through off the mileage and speedometer? Stock is 205/55/16, so if I put a 215/55/16, just raising the width, not the height will it be wacky in any way? I don't want to decrease gas mileage and increase the cars mileage. Thanks -POMAN

#4 ·
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

205(width)/55(aspect ratio)/16(rim size) is what all those numbers mean, all of them are pretty self explainatory except the aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is how tall the sidewall is compared to the tire width expressed in a percentage. So 55% of the stock 205mm is 112.75 and 55% of 215 is 118.25, so the tires diameter is going to be 12mm taller and that would make your revs a little lower while crusing on the highway. The closest you are going to get to stock tire size is 225/50/16 if staying with a 16" rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.