Sways or struts? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Julian Baynes is an unknown
Sways or struts?

I've had my 2012 WRX since january, and in that time I've done the basics: shifter bushings, subframe and diff inserts, and steering rack bushings. Now I'm ready for something a little more serious. I desperately want to do sway bars and the gtworx Bilstein struts with rce yellow springs. The problem is that with my second child a couple months away I dont have the deepest pockets. The struts wont be available until probably early summer, and I could easily just do the sway bars now, but part of me wants to wait for the struts and do the sway bars later.

I'm just wondering if this would put unnecessary stress on the struts. My biggest complaint about the car is the under dampening. I'm looking for any input I can get. Should I just suck it up and get the sway bars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sways will make a huge difference in handling (Start with the rear 1st). Drive it around for a few weeks, if it doesn't handle to YOUR needs, get a FSB after you have adjusted the rear a few ways.

In the end, the RSB might be all you need.

And not cost an arm and a leg.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
RCE Yellows are probably not something you want to have on a family car. If this was your personal car to do whatever, it's whatever you can tolerate, but on a frequently shared ride, it's going to be a bit jarring.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
RCE Yellows are probably not something you want to have on a family car. If this was your personal car to do whatever, it's whatever you can tolerate, but on a frequently shared ride, it's going to be a bit jarring.
See I've heard conflicting things about that. I think the stock spring rates are around 220# in the front and 200# in the rear, so 330# isn't a drastic change. I know that damping has a lot to do with it, but from what I've read its not jarring like a stiff coilover. Is anyone running these?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Julian, Justin (brfatal) does suspension research on the daily.

Maybe not on the newest model, but still

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #6 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that most everyone here has more experience than I do with this. That's specifically why I'm here. Just trying to make the best decision. I didn't know if anyone had them or had been in a car with them and could give me a better idea of what I'm getting into.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'd go with a rear sway 1st just because you are under warranty and the rear sway may satisfy your need for now and not cost an A&L.

Do your kids watch movies or play PSP/3DS in the back seat?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 10 Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Baynes View Post
See I've heard conflicting things about that. I think the stock spring rates are around 220# in the front and 200# in the rear, so 330# isn't a drastic change. I know that damping has a lot to do with it, but from what I've read its not jarring like a stiff coilover. Is anyone running these?
That's still going to be a good difference. It's not as bad as a lot of coilovers, but once you start getting up ~300 lb/inch you will start seeing people complain. My own are 285/275 and while it's fine for me, my gf sometimes gets motion sickness even with my damping turned pretty soft.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I'd go with a rear sway 1st just because you are under warranty and the rear sway may satisfy your need for now and not cost an A&L.

Do your kids watch movies or play PSP/3DS in the back seat?
No, I have a two year old that never wants to get out of the car and a baby on the way. For the time being it is the family car, but we will eventually be getting another one and this will be mine. I think I will get the rear bar and drive it around for a few weeks. If for no other reason than its easier to convince the wife.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
That's still going to be a good difference. It's not as bad as a lot of coilovers, but once you start getting up ~300 lb/inch you will start seeing people complain. My own are 285/275 and while it's fine for me, my gf sometimes gets motion sickness even with my damping turned pretty soft.
I would love to actually take a ride in a car with higher spring rates. But I don't know anyone that didn't just go with cheap lowering springs.