Swaybar Info - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

KawBoyz11 is an unknown
Swaybar Info

Im wanting to put a set of front and rear, 22mm sway bars on my 04 WRX. Ive been looking at the Cusco sway bars, but needed a second opinion. Also would i need the endlinks as well? Once i do get the sway bars on, would it be better to put on new lowering shocks, or save money for a nice coilover set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
the rear sway is a great mod. I'd definitely recommend it. The front is good if you like crisp handling and are not trying strictly to remove understeer (which it will actually increase)

Endlinks don't really do much in terms of capabilities but they do give clearer feedback to the driver about what the sways are doing and better feedback makes for better driving. I would caution though that metal on metal endlinks are the best performance wise, but they can be rather noisy up front. It's fine for the rear but if you mind the clank of an endlink when you take a turn, I'd either leave the front endlinks alone or get ones that still use some measure of padding.

Lowering springs are purely for looks. They do not help your handling at all. In fact, some tests have shown they can substantially reduce the handling capabilities of the car.

Coilovers are completely overkill for a non-track driven car. Their strength is NOT in improving handling, it is in ADJUSTABILITY. If you're not going to be adjusting them, they're a total waste.

But then again, people love spending money on "performance" parts for their car that do nothing. How many spoilers do you see out there that are actually functional? If you want your car to look "tuned" or something, get some cheap ass lowering springs. Just don't tell your buddies it's helping anything or one of them might know enough to make you look stupid.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

KawBoyz11 is an unknown
Thanks for the advice, i just dont wanna do something wrong and have to spend more money fixing my mistakes.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-20-2008, 02:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

twentyclowns is an unknown
Coilovers and even sport springs WILL increase handling, any one that tells u otherwise is a complete moron
If you can afford coilovers get them
If not, just get sport springs untill u have the money
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyclowns View Post
Coilovers and even sport springs WILL increase handling, any one that tells u otherwise is a complete moron
If you can afford coilovers get them
If not, just get sport springs untill u have the money
You are wrong. Stiffer springs don't necessarily do anything positive to the handling of a car. Coilovers improperly adjusted can be far worse than stock setups. Parts not specifically designed for the geometery of your car can be utter crap (even from big name companies although it's less common). Also, just because it will fit on there doesn't make it actually a useful change.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 6 Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
The conclusion we made from the giant debate in the other thread is that lowering can help if done right, but if you lower too much, it will worsen it. However, I will not ignore the fact spring rates are matched to shocks. So to have an ideal setup, a coilover set is a must IMO. The biggest and hardest problem is the change of the geometry that happens when you lower. Imagine a big tall upside down V. When you lower the car, the V spreads out more. Ideally, you want the legs to be shorter... but it doesn't work that way.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement