Sway Bars & Endlinks Input - Subaru WRX Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Sway Bars & Endlinks Input

So I am starting to look into sway bars and endlinks for the front and rear on my 2012 WRX.

-What are some good choices to look into, for both sways and links?

-What thickness is the most beneficial for the front and the back for the sways. This is my DD and sees occasional track time.

-Are adjustable sways a lot more beneficial for something that is mostly a DD?

Appreciate your help. Thank you.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Can't comment about sways since I don't have then but in told by numerous people that its one the best/most noticeable mods. I'll be getting sways.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
the RIOT act likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Swaybars and Endlinks 101
Swaybars & Endlinks - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

"What are swaybars and why do you want to upgrade them?
Stiffer aftermarket swaybars are very beneficial to the handling of WRXs and STis. Upgraded swaybars are the best suspension modification you can make to these cars for the money. Like most cars, STis and WRXs come from the factory with a relatively soft suspension set up that is prone to understeer. This leaves a lot of room for improvement. If you are a performance minded driver who wants to get the best handling out of your car swaybars are a great place to start. A swaybar itself is a very simple part, but figuring out what type and size to buy is not so simple. There is no easy answer here, but in this post I hope to guide you in the right direction."

Images are of 22 mm Whiteline adj rear, and Kartboy endlinks - a crowd favorite.

Class dismissed!
Attached Images

arewmors likes this.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 11-06-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Article teaser content
post #4 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
why the 22 and not the 24?

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #5 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
Swaybars and Endlinks 101
Swaybars & Endlinks - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

"What are swaybars and why do you want to upgrade them?
Stiffer aftermarket swaybars are very beneficial to the handling of WRXs and STis. Upgraded swaybars are the best suspension modification you can make to these cars for the money. Like most cars, STis and WRXs come from the factory with a relatively soft suspension set up that is prone to understeer. This leaves a lot of room for improvement. If you are a performance minded driver who wants to get the best handling out of your car swaybars are a great place to start. A swaybar itself is a very simple part, but figuring out what type and size to buy is not so simple. There is no easy answer here, but in this post I hope to guide you in the right direction."

Images are of 22 mm Whiteline adj rear, and Kartboy endlinks - a crowd favorite.

Class dismissed!
FYI. White lines bushings are the worst

post #6 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSummer View Post
FYI. White lines bushings are the worst
I've never used anything but OEM bushing, but why do you say Whiteline's are the worst, NeverSummer? Let's hear your experience with them.
Nathan21 likes this.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
post #7 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
I've never used anything but OEM bushing, but why do you say Whiteline's are the worst, NeverSummer? Let's hear your experience with them.
Two of my wrx buddy's had those. They fell apart within a year. Properly taken care of too. And another friend of mine who has a perf webstore clearly stated they have air bubbles in them and don't last. I personally haven't used them but I know I'm going w superpro sways, kb end links

post #8 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Excellent link Lw, thank you for that. It's going to be a big help when deciding. It seems like it's going to be a tough decision and not something I come up with over night as I figured. Has any one experienced the superpro sways neversummer listed above?

What are some of people's opinions on how their car rides with certain sized sways?

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #9 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
What are some of people's opinions on how their car rides with certain sized sways?
Car club buddies started by upgrading their sway bars as a first step. Then when pushing for more performance for autocross and time attack they moved to an upgraded spring instead, and went back to the stock front anti-sway bar. With stiffer springs not as much anti-roll bar is required. Of course the trade-off of stiffer springs is a harsher ride, which is not as good for a DD.

With a daily driver, upgrading the anti-sway bars allows you to keep a practical ride quality, and still let you drive it harder at the track on occasion. If you're on a budget, I'd just upgrade the size of the rear anti-sway bar to improve turn-in (reduce understeer).

I like the SPT spring and anti-sway bar upgrades, but I have no experience with them. This is my current upgrade path for handling, when funds allow it.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
post #10 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Once upon a time, I found out that my 07 WRX is tail happy:

Whiteline 24 mm adjustable front sway bar (stiffest setting)
Stock front endlinks
Whiteline 22 mm adjustable rear sway bar (medium setting)
Kartboy rear endlinks

I Gymkhana'd the crap out of a turn one day and the back end started whipping around on me (thank goodness) and I was able to counter steer and power out of the turn. I would have ended up in a ditch otherwise. I also have BC BR coilovers and 245/40 Star Specs on 17x9 wheels. Also, I'll never do that again.

The end.
LW_Black4, arewmors and Nathan21 like this.

John
07 WRX
post #11 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
So after all this time I finally did the sways and end links this past weekend. I ended up with Super Pro front and rear 22mm sway bars with Super Pro front end links and Kartboy rear end links along with the AVO rear stabilizer mount brace. The front sway I put on the lightest setting and rear the middle. What a nice difference! I can't wait to get my summer wheels on there to really see and maximize the full potential of this install. Thank you all for your help and links for my research, it was much appreciated and very helpful.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #12 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
So after all this time I finally did the sways and end links this past weekend. I ended up with Super Pro front and rear 22mm sway bars with Super Pro front end links and Kartboy rear end links along with the AVO rear stabilizer mount brace. The front sway I put on the lightest setting and rear the middle. What a nice difference! I can't wait to get my summer wheels on there to really see and maximize the full potential of this install. Thank you all for your help and links for my research, it was much appreciated and very helpful.

Just curious was it a PITA to do the front sway bar and to get the oem endlinks off?
Asking because I know when I did mine,the back sway was a breeze but the front was a beotch!
To get the oem endlinks off I ended up just breaking em off
and had to drop the crossmember brace.
But of course the hard work paid off in the end.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
No I can't say I had any difficulties getting anything off. It all went pretty smooth. I soaked everything good with PB blaster. Also take into consideration my car is a 2012 so it's not that old and I was working on a lift which makes life easier. I didn't want to break anything off in case I want or need to put them back on at some point. I had to drop the brace in the front, wasn't hard, just zipped it off with an impact.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #14 of 21 Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice. I wasn't so lucky, did it the old fashioned way with jack stands here.
Maybe why it was such a pain for me.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
AllExtiinct,
I think the wheels have to be supported to take the load off the sway bar, so ramps are a better DIY approach than jack stands for this task.
arewmors likes this.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX