Sway bar - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

jokerzta is an unknown
Sway bar

Looking for sway bar ideas. Type and front or back first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Most say that getting a rear one solves most of the understeer that come with the WRX. I have Hotchkis front and rear. The rear is adjustable, and I have Whiteline endlinks. Mine arent installed yet, but a friend runs the same setup on his bugeye and it was a nite and day difference. I went with the setup based on his recommendation and feeling the difference in his ride.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
On my 07 WRX, I have a Whiteline 22 mm adjustable rear sway bar coupled with Kartboy rear endlinks and Perrin Stout Mounts. I also have a Whiteline 24 mm adjustable front sway bar with stock front endlinks. I experimented with Kartboy's front endlinks, but they just didn't quite work with the Whiteline front bar for some reason (with and without the provided spacers). The fitment was just slightly off, so I gave up and sold them. The stock front endlinks are plenty beefy though. If I were to choose any aftermarket front endlink, I'd probably choose a design similar to the stock ones. The stock rear endlinks are the real weak point because they're plastic. Just about anything is better than those. The stout mounts weren't really necessary - I just picked them up because I got a pretty good deal on them at the time and also for the bling factor because you can see them through the wheel wells if you look closely.

Some people claim that you should upgrade both the front and rear bars at the same time (which is what I did) or you risk creating some odd handling characteristics. Others say it's ok to only upgrade one or the other, although snap-oversteer can be dangerous in an emergency swerve situation, so try to avoid that one if you can help it. My advice would be to save up and do the front and rear at the same time.

Mine are considered to be medium-sized bars and even if you were to go with larger or smaller aftermarket sway bars, the difference between them and stock equipment would still be night and day just like Joshua said. The adjustability factor is definitely nice because I like to soften them in the winter and stiffen them in the summer. There is a difference between wagon and sedan sway bars so make sure you get the correct ones for your car. Other things to consider are: solid vs. hollow design, welded points, adjustability, tendency for the finish to develop pits and/or rust spots over time, and color (although you could paint any bar any color if you really wanted to).

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

jokerzta is an unknown
Thanks alot guys. It's very helpful. Sounds like both at the same time is definitely the way to go

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#5 Old 11-23-2011, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
IMHO, most do one at a time to see if that fits THEIR driving needs.

Doing one mod at a time (if possible) is smarter because if you have a problem you can pinpoint the issue easier.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

jokerzta is an unknown
Now I have to think again lol. Thanks again

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#7 Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

06KinvoWrx is an unknown
We seem to be in the same boat so I will put this here and see if we can both get some help.

Is the 06 Wrx wagon in a swaybar black hole?

I have looked everywhere (I think) for front and rear swaybars and cannot find what I am looking for and what I feel would be a good set up with stock struts and springs. Although perhaps that is the problem.

Anyway everything I have read says the stock front is 20mm and the stock rear is 17mm. Every swaybar I have been able to find (alone or paired for a wagon) is 22mm front or 22mm front and rear. I find it hard to believe that 2mm in the front is going to make much of a difference. Any input from those running a 22mm up front?

I have read a 22mm front is good with a strut and spring swap however, my budget canít go there right now.

I can find a lot of sedan swaybars that are 24mm front and rear plus adjustable, why not for the wagon, both have the same size stock bar.

Are there any swaybars for other Wrxís that and can be used on an 06 wagon? I keep checking track width numbers but it looks like most are approx an inch off although I doubt this number accounts for the sway bar mounting points.

Cliff notes:

I want a 24mm front and rear swaybars for an 06 Wrx Wagon.
I donít want to change struts and springs at this time.
#8 Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
They don't have to match. Look here for the rear 24mm and 27mm:
Whiteline Sway Bars for the 2002 - 2007 Subaru WRX

As for the front, the 22mm mated with a tighter rear bar may be the handling you are seeking. But start with the rear.... No need to kill yourself looking if that's all you really needed.

The front 22mm adjustable one can be put on the tightest setting

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3