Subaru WRX Forum banner

suspension update, HELP!!!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  phatmike0704 
#1 ·
ok so i just put my OEM rear struts on today, 04 wrx. Everything was tightened, everything looked good. but i have the worst sounding clunk on my car. they feel like they're about to go through the top hat. at first i thought it was the fact that i bought 02-03 struts but i didnt, heres the site
AutoCenter.net i bought the top 2. then i also thought it could be the mount but they looked fine. then i realized that when i took the springs off, i didnt need the compressor to get it off. are the stock springs supposed to be that weak? my dad just squeezed them with his hands. could that be the problem?

#2 ·
I really doubt if it's the springs. Check this how-to out, and reference step #29, which is where your problem might be:

"29. Reassemble, again fully tightening the 17mm nut. Note that the rear struts have a rubber bumper not just around the top of the spring (like the fronts) but also on the bottom spring perch that you will need to transfer to your new struts. Again note the orientation of the top perch and strut top mount like you did for the fronts."

03 WRX Wagon Spring and/or Strut Install - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

#3 ·
Uhh if your Dad could compress the spring with his hands enough to remove the locknut he is either Superman or your springs are shot.

It sounds like you didn't torque down the locknuts on the top of the assembly(s). did you use a torque wrench to be sure you got them on there good and tight?

#4 ·
well just bought some megan racing springs. i wanna lower it anyway. i retightened everything and the clunk is still there, i guess im just gonna have to get new mounts. anyone know where i could get cheap oem ones. i found some at autocenter.net for $55 but i dont know if they come in a set of 2 or its just the single, anyone know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.