Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Handling Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Suspension Up-grade!! (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/suspension-up-grade-33502/)

pjkolosha 01-18-2013 05:51 PM

Suspension Up-grade!!

Hey guys! I have an 08 wrx thats just about done with body work and ready to be driven and i hear that the suspension on the 08 is the worse of all the subies:( i have made up my mind to get SOMETHING to change that. I have done a lot of thinking, researching, and reading on this forum about people talking about upgrading their suspension.

Of course i will get sway bars (front and rear) followed with endlinks. But i havent made up my mind about lowering the car (not slammed, just to get rid of the gap. and make center of gravity lower).
I hear alot of people wanna just put some lowering springs (i was going to do that) but all the experienced subie owners said that was a bad idea. So prob wont go with that option.

I have heard a lot about people getting lowering springs and matching struts. Does anyone have any brands or types that would work well for the 08 wrx wagon?

I also looked into coilovers. I know the only reason you want to get those is if you autoX etc etc. I am a cheap guy but if its quality i will be willing to make an exception. I have been looking at the Tein Basic Coilovers that are pretty cheap. Does anyone have any input on those??

I appriciate everyones or anyones input!:)

brfatal 01-18-2013 09:01 PM

'08 WRX struts don't like to be lowered. They tend to blow very easily.

Tein Basics will rust and they offer no adjustment except height. This is a problem because they are not designed for US roads and the ride quality will reflect that and there is nothing you can do about it.

GTWORX has as setup that works well on your car, but it's $$$$.

the RIOT act 01-18-2013 09:26 PM

Suspension Up-grade!!

The ride on Tein Basics was certainly disappointing IMO. I ran them on my RSX back in the day. They didn't rust much but I did have a thread stripping problem on 2 of them too. Tein replaced both of them but still...for $1000 I was disappointed. I'd look at other brands for sure if I was considering it again. I have ran their H-Tech springs and was pretty satisfied in my civic about 11 years ago too. If you're not doing auto X regularly I can't myself justify anything more than $1000. I think the sways, links, and h-tech springs would be enough (ride/looks wise) for you. That'll prob put you around $700-$800 for something of quality. So unless you can find something (coilover) wise between $700-$1000 I'd say run with what I mentioned. Just my opinion....

[color=gray]Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/url][/color]

rex2002 01-18-2013 10:49 PM

i also had the tein basic damper kit on my 99 eclipse,i never ran into any rust issues and was able to lower almost to the ground,but it did drive like a stiff race car,and if this is your daily driver i would look into something better. thats why when it came time to lower the rex i settled with a shock/spring combo vs coil overs, yea i dont have that "slammed" look that everyone is doing to there cars,but she is lower that stock and still rides nice and smooth like it came off the show room floor.

pjkolosha 01-21-2013 03:28 PM

brfatal i know i heard a lot of people saying that the 08 has little options for ## suspension but i guess in the future we will see what works...from what you guys are tellin me im going to stay away from those TEIN Basic coilovers

the RIOT act im not going to be doing NO autox'ing for OK has no tracks that i have heard of or anything haha maybe once a year or something i might take it to the strip. and ill prob have to go with the setup you just mentioned with the sways, links, and springs. i might try to find some shocks if anything so i dont kill my stock shocks

thanks rex2002 for your experience haha everyone is trying to tell me to stay away from those TEIN Basic lol could i ask you ### kind of shocks did you get?? any brand u guys recommend?

brfatal 01-21-2013 04:32 PM

Auto cross tracks tend to be large parking lots (ie at stadiums), not dedicated tracks...if you're ever interested in trying it.

brfatal 01-21-2013 04:32 PM

Auto cross tracks tend to be large parking lots (ie at stadiums), not dedicated tracks...if you're ever interested in trying it.

pjkolosha 01-21-2013 06:59 PM

[quote=brfatal;289962]Auto cross tracks tend to be large parking lots (ie at stadiums), not dedicated tracks...if you're ever interested in trying it.[/quote]

love cars love fixing cars but for some reason i have never heard of any get together's? idk haha maybe ill actually start looking around becuz it does sound fun