Subaru WRX Forum banner

suspension questions

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  fuapiti 
#1 ·
ok so this spring im going to be buying a lot of parts for my suspension and i have some questions. first off heres what im getting
hotchkis 25mm hollow sway bars front and rear, adjustable rear
kyb agx struts
tanabe gf210 springs
kartboy front endlinks (already have whiteline rear endlinks)
new stock strut mounts and bumpstops
i think i want to get camber bolts but i dont really know much about them. what is a good kind to get and how many do i need? i know i need a good alignment but i dont know what specs i want. im pretty clueless about alignments so any reccomendations would be very helpful. also if anyone has anything to add or change about my parts list let me know. just remember im on a very limited budget lol. thanks guys

#2 ·
1) Skip the AGXs and get Tokico Dspecs, they are WAY WAY better.
2) The Tanabe springs are good, but IMHO RCE Blacks/Yellows or STi Takeoffs are a better match for the capablity of the Dspecs; if you want a bit more comfort I would go with Swift Sport STi Springs.
3) Get Group N strut tops/mounts b/c they are MUCH better than stock.
4) For Camber Bolts - Eibach, Whiteline, are all good..but you won't know if you need them until you get an alignment.
5) As for alignment specs for a DDer/occassional autoX:

Align at 0 toe all around
-1.5 front camber
-1.1 rear camber
(or as close to those camber numbers as you can get; works very well for me)

I HIGHLY recommend you contact the guys at TIC (Tony and/or Clint), as they are the real suspension gurus and discuss your plans with them.

www.turninconcepts.com

#3 ·
Swaybars are ok.

All camber bolts are the same thing, get the cheapest ones you can get. The ones you need are the rear ones, our cars have front ones allready.

Save a few bucks and get whiteline endlinks.

And cross everything else out of your list and get a basic set of coilovers. I can say that Tein coilovers (Type Flex, I know, out of your budget) are great I don't know about other brands, all I know is that Megan coilovers are crap.

#5 ·
i found a great price on the hollow bars lol.
looked at a few coilovers to see if there was any in my price range. i found ksport kontrol pro coilovers for 1150. d2 racing RS coilovers for 885. and buddy club d1 spec for 1215. anybody know anything about these brands?

#7 ·
Cheap coilovers are not a good idea IMHO. The OP lives in Pennslyvania...snow+salt+cheap coilover=rust.

Coilovers are a waste for a DDer. Dspecs and a good set of springs will be way more durable, require a lot less maintenance, and be way more comfortable. I would not touch a set of coilovers unless I was tracking my car regularly and had $2k or more to spend.

Also, I would hardly call Stance, most Teins, or BCs good coilovers as they lack the valving or suspension travel needed to soak up the bumps on regular roads. However, TIC/AST or RCE Tarmacs are a different story and are pricey but good.

#8 ·
Totally agree on the coilover thing. It's all bling on a street car. Good struts and springs will get you a LONG way towards the performance. The main advantage of coilovers is that they are ADJUSTABLE! If you are going to put them on and leave them alone, you are wasting serious money. They don't last as long as conventional struts, are generally way stiffer than you need, and poorly suited for real-world roads.

On a track, adjustments make the difference between first and last. On the street, they're for bragging to your friends while your teeth fall out from the bumps.

#10 ·
ok sro it sounds like coilovers are a bad idea. how much better are d specs that agx? enough to be worth an extra 100$? and haow much better are group n strut mounts than stock?
AGXs are only 4-way adjustable so it w/such limited settings it is harder to fine tune and match just right to your chosen springs. Dspecs are almost infinitely adjustable, have much better valving (more comfortable), and can be set to match almost any spring. The Dspecs DEFINITELY worth the extra $100.

Group N mounts are a stiffer rubber than stock. This really helps when you uprade to a firmer spring, particularly when you get in to STi spring rates the softer stock tops make the ride more bouncy. While the Group Ns will be smoother with firmer springs. They are worth the extra $ over stock especially since you are replacing them anyway.

#11 ·
The mounts are only really for correctly aligning the car with far more negative camber than the factory allowed. If you want to run, say, -2 degrees all around, you'll need some better mounds (as well as camber bolts obviously).

The D-specs are great struts specifically created for our application. AGX's are a little more generic. I think it's worth the money. Note, if you really want to adjust them, you'll need to buy little extenders because accessing the rear struts in a sedan is a royal pain in the ass.

#14 ·
I'd run at least that much in the rear. Right now I have -1 all around and I still wear slightly unevenly. If you want to avoid mounts/bolt mods, the correct answer to "How much negative camber should I run?" is "All of it!". If you're getting something more flexible, I'd probably be looking closer to -2 in the front and -1.5 rear. That's incredibly subjective based on your driving habits, tire size, etc.

#13 ·
I disagree with coilovers being a bad thing over all. I have coilovers and they do just fine for daily driving. You can buy a set of coilovers geared towards DD and spend at most 50-100 more then decent struts and springs and get more out of them. Yes they are bumpy, but on the softest setting, they ride like RCE yellows. If you plan to haul ass over bumps and pot holes, then dont get coilovers. If you plan to do auto-x events, just a few times or regularly, then I would recomend them. Eventually your gonna want to make your car handle better as you get into racing it. Coilovers is usually the first step for large improvement over springs. You get 'em now you dont have to worry about it later. However, springs is a good start for a budget; but if you can afford them, get them and focus on driving. A disadvantage, though it depends on how you drive, is tire wear. Since coilovers plant your tires to the ground firmly (more than most stiff springs) for added grip, tires tend to wear quicker. But in general, coilovers are more bang for your buck.

I Know Im new on this forum but Im not new to Subarus. I bouhgt my 06 wrx in november of 05 when it first started hitting stores in texas. I've compared the two and IMHO coilovers are truley more bang for your buck. I appologize if I come off as a douche to anyone, just adding my .02 :)

#15 ·
^Totally agree. If the roads in your area are in ok shape, not that many potholes, bumps and/or deep gutters on unexpected places, you will not have a single problem. I used to live in Miami, FL where the roads were not perfect but were fine enough and I lived very happy with my Tein Flexes in the Autocross setting (9-11 front and 13-16 rear... very stiff). My car was and still is my only means of transportation. I now live in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the roads here are not in nice shape and it is not that great to go around on a car with a stiff suspension, however I have been able to make it so far and so have my Flexes. On track days I often think to myself "it is worth it..."

If you are planning to autocross your car and want to win an event or two, I really suggest you to get coilovers, you will not regret it.

I have heard great things about K-Sport kits but not on Subarus, I have two friends back in Miami that had Ksport coilovers on their cars: a Scion Tc (FSP champion) and a Honda CRX (did great in SM2, just as good as many Z06's)...

OP: Just do your homework, research and plan ahead...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.