Subaru WRX Forum banner

suspension help

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Chase 
#1 ·
i posted earlier but didnt think anyone would go to that board again.

Original ok, so i been driving my car for the past month with 2 noises. everytime i go on a speed bump or hit the throttle in first or second i hear a clunk, i read that it could be the bushings or my strut. And now i been hearing like a creak also everytime i turn the car slowly, brake at like 20mph-0mph or let off the clutch. Sounds like somethins loose but not sure what. PLEASE HELP

Response from c2bcoolwrx Thanks a lot for the help.
Ist off How miles? Is your car lowered (what suspension mods?)? Do you notice any smoke or burning grease smell comming from the strut or axle/cv boot area?

1) Could be a bad strut. Is the car riding kinda bouncy?
2) Could be a bad cv joint/boot. (most likely IMHO, b/c the car is hard to turn at slow speeds and make a creaking noise)
3) If you have aftermarket sways they could just need greasing (least likely though and that would make a creaking noise)

I would put the car on a lift or jack it up and look at each corner. Look at the struts and see if any fluid/grease/etc is leaking out or on the strut. Next look at the axles and Cv boots and see if there is a tear/broken boot and any grease comming out of on the boot. It is most likely the CV b/c the boots are made out of a rubber and can crack do to drying/age or get a tear/puncture pretty easily if you run over something the wrong way.

I checked everything, couldnt really tell what was goin on. i hav stock suspension, 04 WRX, 54000miles. the creaking got worse now. Everytime i let off the brake or push on it at like 0-15mph and 15-0mph, it creaks. no bad smell from the strut. the cause is probably from drifting all winter long with it and i liv in chicago so it basically a mine flield of pot holes. What does the CV boot or joint look like?

See less See more
#2 ·
i posted earlier but didnt think anyone would go to that board again.

I checked everything, couldnt really tell what was goin on. i hav stock suspension, 04 WRX, 54000miles. the creaking got worse now. Everytime i let off the brake or push on it at like 0-15mph and 15-0mph, it creaks. no bad smell from the strut. the cause is probably from drifting all winter long with it and i liv in chicago so it basically a mine flield of pot holes. What does the CV boot or joint look like?
The CV boot/joint is part of your axle. You have 4 (one on each side). Generally, when a CV boot/joint goes bad you have to replace the corresponding axle.

Here is what it looks like (CV/axle from '02 WRX):

In case you need one and are on a budget this site does a core exhange:

SubaruParts.com - Your #1 Source for OEM Parts and Accessories (scroll down to middle of page)

#4 ·
If all checks out, it could also be your diff, the stock ones don't like to drift.
I would jack the car and look for leaks, and check the torque on all the bolts.
Being that it happens when you start and stop, the CV joints would be the frist to check, maybe a wheel bearing going out also. If the CV boots are tron you will know, they are filled with grease and it goes everywhere. To check the wheel bearings, jack the car up, with the wheel on grap the top and bottom and try to wiggle it. If it has a lot of play, this could be your problem. There is not an easy way to check diff, you could drain the fluid and look for metal in it.

#6 ·
What ever became of this Mike? I have a similar creak, every time I push the brake I get a creak from the front driver wheel well area, 2 creaks if I push firmly. Then another 2 when I let off the brake and hit the gas pedal. Every time. I'd like to know what to tell prospective buyers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.