Strut replacement opinions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sfelix818 is more helpful than not
Strut replacement opinions

OK so its now time to change my struts. I just ordered my front and rear sways and can't make up my mind on what struts I want to go with. Right now I have swift lowering springs with stock struts and I dont do any track. My 2 choices I have in mind are Kyb AGX with the strut spacers or the Kyb gr-2/excel-g. Does anyone have this type of setup that can give me some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have over 97k on my stock struts and I think they're going to need to be replaced soon. Tokico D-Spec struts and RCE Yellow springs are on the top of my wishlist right now, but I'm curious to hear some feedback about other options.

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 16 Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im with John on his choice of suspension parts. And yes I own an 07 also. I have talked to TiC alot about what I want out of my car and what would be my best option and they pointed me towards the Tokico D's with RCE springs (I will be saving for some other goodies also).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 16 Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I have over 97k on my stock struts and I think they're going to need to be replaced soon. Tokico D-Spec struts and RCE Yellow springs are on the top of my wishlist right now, but I'm curious to hear some feedback about other options.
Throw in some new top hats (at that mileage they are worn) and you're golden. RCE Yellows can be a bit harsh ride wise, which is why I toned it down to Swift R-Specs personally.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I rarely take passengers with me and I'm still relatively young, so when it comes down to it at this point in my life, I prefer looks to ride quality. However, I'm not concerned with looks to the point where I want coilovers so I can slam the car and tuck my tires. Obviously, good coilovers are overkill for a daily driven car and cheap coilovers are never the solution. I'd ultimately like to remove a good bit of wheel gap and get the most even stance possible without severely impacting handling.

I've had this page saved in my Favorites for quite a while now, but I really haven't done any serious research on any of the options: Turn in Concepts

Which options would you guys recommend to make a nice, complete suspension package (keeping in mind that I already have sway bars and endlinks)?

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 16 Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well got a hell of a deal for my KYB AGX struts ($480 shipped) so im gonna go with this setup.. Swift springs with some KYB AGX struts and my sways that i just got in yesterday. Should have it all on next week by thursday or friday when my struts come in can't wait to see the difference. Will keep you guys posted on how everything comes out.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sweet, I'd love to see some pics of that setup

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 16 Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You're better off with the much cheaper AGX struts than the dspecs. Your lowering springs are designed to be stupid in order to look good. They probably ate your stock struts and they'll eat the AGX's too.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #9 of 16 Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Will post up pics when I get it all installed Man show..

At 52000 miles and about 42000 of them have had the swift spring still doesnt feel all bad, have'nt had any complaint on ride quality but then again its been 5 years since I had new struts so will see how the stock ones are after they pull them off.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-20-2012, 01:18 AM

Garage
I've seen struts come off of WRX's that have ZERO left and were completely non-functional due to lowering springs for that kind of time. The owner didn't even know it and said his ride quality was fine. With four blown struts. He might have enjoyed knocking out his fillings, but the handling of his car was utter crap.

post #11 of 16 Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^I'm with Mosc. My 07wrx had only 38K when I sold it and the springs I had on it blew my struts out in less than 20K.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #12 of 16 Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I agree with you on the handling part Mosc, which is why I’m finally going with the new setup. I have noticed my handling slowly get more and more poor. I know you said my springs will kill my struts but this is now my weekend car and is garaged during the week since I paid it off and got me a commuter. So not to worried about building up mileage quick. What springs would you recommend that wont kill the struts?
post #13 of 16 Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Mach V blue springs, though I disagree with the assessment that your current Swift springs are bad. Technically any lowering spring and/or spring with higher rates will accelerate wear on your struts, but the lower you go and the further the spring rates from stock you go the faster that will occur.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 AM

Garage
Lower is fine, more springrate is fine. The problem is when you don't do both and in the right amounts. You want X spring rate, that gives you Y drop. No if, ands, or buts. If you want Y drop, you get x springrate. The car's suspension dictates one from the other. That said, the factory struts can't handle the huge springrate that would be appropriate for these "lowering springs". The springs themselves don't have the right rates either.

Swift makes good springs. Their R-spec springs are very good for auto-x or similar. They're considerably less drop and almost double the springrate of their "lowering springs". They'd also render stock struts completely non-functional they need something much stronger (like d-spec struts). Personally, I'd stick with a spring that won't piss off the occasional passenger like the RCE blacks. They have a fairly modest drop though and still require better struts.

Basically, this:
TiC Tok suspension package

post #15 of 16 Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fitz871 is an unknown
I am also looking to get new struts. I have a 2004 Sti and was wondering if anyone had any input on either the Tokico HPK Series or just go with the D-Spec.

Edit:
I believe that I will go with the D-Spec from TiC. With the combo of Swift Spec-R's springs and new front and rear Group N top hats.

What does everyone think?

Last edited by Fitz871; 07-25-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement