Subaru WRX Forum banner

stiffy time!

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
hahaha ROFL

i have an 06 wrx, i'm currently at stage 2 and what i'm really looking to do next is to drop it and have some great handling while not driving as if i were using solid bars as springs.

my plan is to run some basic upper sway bars, they're pretty cheap and they help stiffen my ride up-that i have no concern about but what i am still trying to figure out is what springs to run.

I know 2" or more of a drop messes with the geometry too much and i would also have to roll my fenders so i'm set on 1.5" drop.. i drive my car everyday and its on the street 99% of the time, i want to have a decently stiff setup but nothing too crazy, i heard tein s springs r garbage and the cobb lowers the car too much. does anyone have suggestions for me?

#3 ·
Funny I see this thread. Ive been on a religious springs research lately and I want the same thing. I wanted just a little bit of a drop and a spring set-up that was aimed more at performance than anything and was easy on your struts.

Ive came to a conclusion that the Tanabe GF210 is the best approach. IMO

CVR Motorsports - Subaru :: WRX STI :: 2006-2007 :: Suspension :: Springs :: GF210 Lowering Springs
1.0 inch drop in front and .5 inch drop in rear.

CVR Motorsports - Subaru :: WRX STI :: 2004-2005 :: Suspension :: Springs :: GF210 Lowering Springs
1.3 drop in fron and 1.0 drop in rear. (although it states that it was designed for an 04 sti but will fit your car.) I would stay away from this one because 04's have a slightly different suspension set up, so i'm sure you would run into fitment issues.

Stay away from the df210s.

Make sure it's a gf210

#4 ·
I would seriously recommend against ALL lowering spring options for a WRX if you don't first change struts. The stock struts just can't handle stronger spring rates. You end up just driving on the springs and it may look dropped, but the ride and handling is utter crap.

The cheap strut option is to track down some used 04 STi struts (later years won't fit). Those can handle JDM pink springs which will give you probably an inch drop over a stock WRX all while improving your handling.

CVR Motorsports - Subaru :: WRX STI :: 2006-2007 :: Suspension :: Springs :: GF210 Lowering Springs
These are really not WRX springs. They're a staggering 324 lb/in springrate in the front which is 62% stiffer than WRX stock if that link is to be believed. Your struts sure as hell can't handle that worth a damn. Tien H-Tech springs for an 06 WRX, just for reference, are only 229 lb/in. Not that I recommend those. They're a 1.8" inch front drop and only a 15% stiffer spring. Just putting realistic numbers out there I know was actually designed for a WRX (well, not to make it handle better, just not brake anything too badly).

#6 ·
It's not so much the ride height as the springrate. The struts have a limit to how much springrate they can deal with before they might as well not be there. Now, if your spring is simply too short, you'll just destory the handling, the ride quality, and probably rub the wheel on the fender but your strut won't be that unhappy ;)

#8 ·
What are the springrates of those springs? The website links me here:
http://www.swiftsprings.com/file/ss.pdf
but it doesn't work.

It appears the swift sport spring is not a graduated spring. Particularly in the rear, that's going to be interesting. If you have wide tires or a low offset, I would not recommend those springs as they will likely reduce rear fender clearance on bumps drastically.

#14 ·
ok so now i'm in a new predicatment..

i still wana go about 1.5" drop but i will also be able to use my buddies sti struts (his is an 07 and my wrx is an 06 will his fit?) can i go any lower w/ rubbing? obviously the new struts will be a lot stronger but am i gaining anything else besides that?

#15 ·
No they won't fit. Yes, they'd probably rub, No, the STi struts aren't "A LOT" stronger, not strong enough for a 1.5" drop anyway. No, you're not gaining anything with a 1.5" drop.

If you REALLY want to get that kind of drop (I have no idea why you do), your only non-awful performance option is coilovers. Stiff ones.

#17 ·
I would suggest buying suspension parts by their capabilities, not by the amount they lower the body of the car. How much drop is that? Matters on how aggressive a setup you want to go. Stock struts? I'd recommend little to no drop. If you intend to use STi struts (needs to be 04 strut), the stock STi spring is a good choice. It's about 15% stiffer spring and strut with only a mildly stiffer ride. Probably about 1/4 of an inch drop though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.