sti struts w/eibach springs? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

beaterwrx is an unknown
sti struts w/eibach springs?

several questions......

so, im not rolling in the dough, so price is a very important thing to me. i found some sti struts with eibach springs, the guy wants 300. now i've read the problems with lowering springs on a strut not meant for it, so i would probably swap out the eibachs for some sti springs.... if i can find a good price. i have an 02, supposedly these struts came off an 04 sti, it has 04 hats... from what i've been able to see from searches they will work right?

im wondering, is there some way i can tell these are sti struts and not just some wrx struts painted pink? are there markings or manufacturer numbers to discern the difference?

and of course, is this a good price if im planning on getting different springs? if i just stayed with the sti struts and eibach springs, is it going to hurt my handling to the point that i should just keep my stock rex suspension and just save up for some coilovers? (it will be awhile)

tell me what to do subie gods!!

and btw, i searched and couldnt find anything specific... maybe i suck with computers and theres a post about this. if so sorry guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Are you talking about JDM struts or the american STI struts?
If it's the american version STI struts the front will fit but the backs won't. You would have to change the top hats in the rear to make those fit. Eibachs springs are not very low and they are a deccent spring that won't kill your handling. Also one way to tell if there are real STI struts will be that the piston in the strut will be thicker than a WRX strut. You could always try and make a little scratch on them to see if there is another color under neath to tell if they have been painted. The price is good if your going to use the springs and struts together eccept forthe fac tyou will need to change the top hats in the rear like I said.
Have you considered F/R sway bars? They will make a HUGE difference in handling and won't hurt your wallet

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
+1 for sway bars, its like night and day difference.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

beaterwrx is an unknown
so i'll need to swap the rear 04 sti top hats with my 02 wrx tops to make the rears work? you think sway bars would be a better bang for the buck right now?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Yes and yes, get sway bars you will be very happy. I like Cusco and White line, you'll want to get rear end links too

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
you might want to doulble check, i think the top of the o4 spring is shaped different than the 02. I think you have to use the 04 tophats, on your 02.
it might just be a wagon thing, because i have 03 struts with 04 sti springs and tophats for the rear. my 03 tophat didnt work with the spring

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement