Subaru WRX Forum banner

STi Cowling Brace

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Had $300 in Subaru Bucks, so I decided to go ahead any splurge on this expensive piece, even though there are replicas out there and even newer RS versions. Subarugenuineparts had it listed for ~$301. I don't know how they do this because I have pretty good relationship with our parts manager here at our dealership. They were saying they pay about $315 for the part alone. I ended up still going thru locally at 10% above their cost.

My car has been down for minor mechanical repairs, maintenance, and heavy cosmetic repair. Figured this would be a good time with the fenders already off. I might decide to road test it here in a bit. I'm just weary since I don't have a rear bumper cover installed so mounting my plate legally is interesting.

I was quite surprised how flimsy the stock pieces were. I was also surprised how large this actual piece is. I thought it was going to be this tiny thing under there. The stock piece I could probably bend with my bare hands if I tried. No way I could bend the upgraded one.

For those that end up installing this. The torque on the bolts are 68.6 Nm or 51 ft-lbs. 14mm socket.

Vehicle Car Tire Auto part Automotive tire

Auto part

Product Footwear Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Alloy wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
Jon, I talked to a guy at the STPR rally that was a NASIOC member. He said that upgrade made a bigger difference then would've expected. He had a 03 WRX wagon. He told me to look into it, but he wasn't sure if my MY already came with the upgraded piece or not. The guy also said because my car is a STI it might've already been upgraded too. Is that part STI specific? He also mentioned how you can basically take the stock peice and flex it in your hand. While the upgraded part is tough and won't bend easily.

#3 ·
Yes, I heard the difference was quite surprising too. And he is absolutely accurate on how the stock piece feels in the hand. I'm just unsure how much I'll feel a difference because I'm up to the point where I'm afraid to see where the car's limit is at the speeds its capable of.

My understanding the 07 STI had them.
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_95&products_id=1149

#5 ·
I noticed a huge improvement when I installed the TiC Fender Brace kit, but like Jon I'm afraid to really try and find the limit of the car especially on the street

#4 ·
Damn ::shakes a fist:: I don't know if I want to tear my fenders off for it though. That guy took his car to rally events up in NY and he said it was noticeable. Amateur events though.

#6 ·
With this method, you don't have to.
SubieGal.com

I just took it for a spin. Seems tighter, but I can't really say. It's really difficult to tell without being able to "lose control." I took some turns with my buddy at some not so safe speeds and couldn't lose grip. The one turn I did take and drifted my sunglasses fell off so I kinda ruined that experience.

#8 ·
I should have clarified. My suspension is tuned up to the point where it's almost perfect for me. Adding this part just made it even more difficult to tell whether or not it made improvements. However, several reputable people have verified that race their car say this is a good mod which is why I went ahead and got it. Also check out Big Sky's review on it. It was a neutral review a few years back on I think clubWRX.

#9 ·
Vew: Nice link to do it without removing the fenders. I'll have to remember that when I get my car back. Like I said, the guy that recommended it to me does amateur rallying and he said could tell that it helped out. It just cuts out some of the flex in the unibody is what he said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.