Subaru WRX Forum banner

SS brake lines?

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  c2bcoolwrx 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my rotors are getting really warped so I'm going to overhaul the brake system soon on my wrx. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with OEM rotors and Hawk HPS pads, but I was wondering whether to keep the stock lines or not. The Mach V stainless lines are $100 extra, but is this worth it? What difference do stainless lines make and is it worth the money for a street driven car? Thanks in advance for you help.

#2 ·
From most of my reading it doesnt really help you stop sooner or better or faster, just gives the pedal a more "solid" feel. Guess it could kind of inspire more confidence in your brake system.

#3 ·
I did the mod on my 04 WRX and all it did was stiffen the petal but on the 04 STi it made more of a difference. The caliper size has a lot to do with it. The larger the caliper the more fluid is being thrown around. The rubber lines bend more. I wouldn't say it made me stop faster in the 04 STi but I'd say I have much more control over how much break actually gets used than with rubber lines.

#4 ·
I upgraded to Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines and ATE Super Blue DOT4 brake fluid as part of my 30,000 mile service and I noticed a bit of a stiffer feel in my brake pedal too. I still have stock calipers, pads, and rotors. I guess it's worth it - if nothing else, you can just add it to your list of mods and feel good inside knowing that your stuff is a little better than stock.

#5 ·
I changed my rotors out with drilled and slotted ones. the car stops alot better. but I dont know have a good stock rotor feels becusae I bought the car with them warped. but from a warped stock to drilled and slotted it was like night and day. I really want to get the ss lines not so much from stopping better. but getting that thought in the back of my head ever time I stop to go away. a friend had some old lady pull out in front of him and he was doing 40. Slammed the brakes and the rubber line split and his brakes failed. he pulled the e brake and slid the car sidways and missed her by like a foot. but now ever time I brake hard I worry its going to split.

#6 ·
I've never heard of that happening before, but I suppose it's entirely possible. The rubber is probably the weak point in the stock system, I'd imagine. Sorry to hear about your friend though. I wonder what the weak point is with the braided stainless steel lines...

#7 ·
Subaru 02-09 WRX & 04-09 STi Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, JSC Speed

Technafit SS lines are $89. So if you want to save a little $ over the Mach V lines. Also, I would shop around on the rotors many people have had great success with regular blank rotors you can get at any autopart store. Brembo Blanks are pretty cheap too, so I would compare that to the cost of the OEM rotors. Lastly, the fluid....unless your tracking the car and need a really high boiling point I would go with some Valvoline Synthetic Brake Fluid, as it works well and is real cheap at any autoparts store (your gonna need 2 for the flush/fill).

Personally, I run DBA 4000 rotors w/stock '05 calipers front/rear, Hawk HPS/HP+ (street/autoX), Technafit SS lines, Valvoline Synthetic Fluid, and Perrin MCB. My pedal feel is great, no fade, and suits my purposes perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.