Subaru WRX Forum banner

SPT springs install on '06 TR

6K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  tofushopguy 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just got my SPT Springs today and I figured I'd post a few pics before I do the install this weekend.

Is anyone interested in my doing a complete tutorial for my install? I've noticed little things missing from different how to's and I'll try to fill in the gaps.

Also, I've searched many times and I don't get a conclusive answer for the removal of the rear strut bolts. I have an electric impact wrench from HF rated 240 ft/lbs w/ impact sockets. I'm planning on letting PB blaster soak overnight. Will that be enough or should I also get a 1/2" breaker bar? My car only has 8K on it so there shouldn't be problem with rust.

Here's my tool list:
Jacks and Stands
Electric impact wrench 240ft/lbs
Spring compressor from HF (cheap!)
Impact Sockets
Pass Through socket set
alan wrench
large and small torque wrenches
pb blaster
sharpie

Cheers

See less See more
#4 ·
i was thinking about spts but on an 02 i need new top hats so it would be almost as expensive as helix dna coilovers so f that.

good luck man. it shouldnt be too hard especially with the impact wrench. you should do a full write up im planning on doing some 02 specific springs soon im just not sure which ones yet.

edit: are the 4pot front 2 pot rear brakes standard now?

#7 ·
I was thinking of doing a write up on how to install springs, I did mine awhile ago and took pictures. Mabey I'll do a write up when I get home from work, or I mean SKIING, Seattle just got dumped on and all my tint appointments canceled so the Shop is closed.

#8 ·
you suck nagyhead. you guys get dumped on and we get none down here in reno/tahoe. no fair. cut me some turns man. you should throw up a writeup on the springs i am leaning towards doing handling instead of power to please my parents.

#9 ·
So I rotated my tires and soaked the bolts with Pb blaster. All was well until I saw the rear strut bolts. How am I going to get those off? When you did your springs did you loosen the bolt or the nut? Did you remove the caliper? I have deep impact sockets and it looks like the only possible way to get in there is to buy some shallow sockets....:(

I don't think I can get in there to loosen the nut especially the bottom strut nut.

#10 ·
that is where you need a breaker bar and probably a deep socket so the disk doesnt get in the wayr to get to the bolt and havea buddy with just a basica adjustable wrench holding the nut. thats how id do it unless im looking at it wrong.

do you need a compressor on the rear to remove the struts since there is no spring or is the spring higher up out of view, i cant see it. give me a break im not suspension minded

#12 ·
WRXKidid775 said:
that is where you need a breaker bar and probably a deep socket so the disk doesnt get in the wayr to get to the bolt and havea buddy with just a basica adjustable wrench holding the nut. thats how id do it unless im looking at it wrong.

do you need a compressor on the rear to remove the struts since there is no spring or is the spring higher up out of view, i cant see it. give me a break im not suspension minded
The spring is out of view. You can just barely see it in the picture. I'm in the same boat you are...:)

#13 ·
thanks man. when you use the compressor and you unbolt the strut from the tophat and the bottom mount will it just slide right out? is the spring just sitting over the strut or is it attached somehow? sorry to jack your thread man.

#14 ·
WRXKidid775 said:
thanks man. when you use the compressor and you unbolt the strut from the tophat and the bottom mount will it just slide right out? is the spring just sitting over the strut or is it attached somehow? sorry to jack your thread man.
From the posts I've read the spring should just come out after the top strut nut is removed.

#18 ·
tofushopguy said:
So do I attack the bottom nut or the bolt for the rear struts? Right now, the only way I see is to loosen the bolt side... :confused:
you can loosen either side it dosent matter, I put a box end wrench on the nut side and a rachet and socket on the other side... lefty loosy,righty tighty

#22 ·
as log as they are torqued correctly they will be fine, the fronts are a little different though, the same 2 bolts on the front strut need to go back in the same place. the top bolt is for the camber adjustment. Mind you that is for the 03, I not 100% positive that is the same for your car.

#23 ·
Hit w/ the impact wrench from the bolt side- I prefer the nut side, but Subaru doesn't always give you the option on several components.

When you remove the strut just don't let the knuckle/hub assembly "fall"- it's kind of hard on things- I always support it w/ something (block, floor jack- what ever you have)

Make sure your very careful w/ the top three strut top nuts, the torque is ONLY 14.5 ft lbs- don't twist a stud off like many have.

#24 ·
So I completed the install tonight without a hitch. It was an easy install, but it took time...6 hours! I was taking my time to make sure everything was right.

I have a question. I scratched up the springs a bit while using the compressor to put the hats back on. Do I have worry about long time rust problems?

I will post pictures of the install and some reviews of the springs.

Thanks all for your help. This was my first major mod and I'm proud to have done it. !Thumbs Up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.