Springs Help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-31-2009, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cwsox316 is an unknown
Smile Springs Help

ive been looking around reading forums after forums and i still cant decide what springs to get. i just want a springs that remove the gap but work like the stock one. i heard TIEN is good the H Tech and the S Tech but also someone said not to get them some say the Eibach is good too the Sportsline and the Pro Kit. im not looking for an expensive spring just for looks because of my baby. please someone help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Epic Engineering: STi & WRX Performance Parts: Epic Engineering Lowering Springs, 2004-2007 WRX
Mach V Blues: Mach V Springs (04-07 WRX) - Springs & Shocks - only $200!
Swift Sports: 04+ WRX Sedan Springs Turn In Concepts
Prodive Blues: http://racecompengineering.com/item....tegory=Springs

Personally, I would NEVER use Tein springs as they are garbage (have a horrible ride...avoid them like the plague). You should really check out some threads on NASIOC about the Tein springs, as they are basically forbidden. I am not a fan of either of the Eibachs and would not run those either, but the Pro Kit is better than the Sportsline (too much drop & will kill the stock struts).

The options above are much better in terms of ride quality and having the correct spring rate/dampening to match with the stock struts, as they are designed with the stock struts in mind. Pretty much those 4 are the only ones I would consider to match with the stock struts.
#3 Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Anybody use/used or know someone who uses/used the Subaru springs in their performance parts catalog? How are they? I would assume they are probably the best compared to others for your struts. Do they do a good job of fixing the tire/fender gap, and leveling out the car? Better handling?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

ajtoce is more helpful than not
boost addict did a pretty good write up on the spt springs in his 08 wrx project thread. He has pics too
#5 Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
How would the Swift "Sport Springs" be with Tokico D-Spec struts? Any ideas.....

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#6 Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
How would the Swift "Sport Springs" be with Tokico D-Spec struts? Any ideas.....
The Dspecs can handle a wide range of springs. The Swift Sports are dampened based on the stock shocks so they will work well with the Dspecs. However, the Dspecs are much more capable than the stock shocks so you could run a much more aggressive/firmer spring. For the Dspecs I would run any of the following springs:

Crucial Racing
RCE Blacks (or yellows for a little more drop)
STi Takeoffs
STi JDM Pinks
any other spring for the STi (Prodrive Reds, Epic Engineering, Swift)

It really depends on how you want your ride and what you are planning on doing with the car. If you want it more like stock, lower, and an increase in handling than go with springs designed for the WRX (i.e. Swift Sports, Mach V blues). If your gonna be doing a lot of Auto X then I think the Dspecs with the RCE Blacks would be an excellent choice. Also, something to consider when changing to new struts is some STi Group N Top hats for the front and rear as they well firm everything up and help the struts work better.

I have spent a lot of time researching spring/strut combos, as I am approxing 80K miles and it will be soon be time to upgrade. But, I plan only doing it once and going for it all. I am going to go with Öhlins Fixed Perch Struts (probably the best aftermarket strut), Prodrive Reds, Crucial Racing, RCE blacks, or STi Swift Sports, and some group N top hats.
#7 Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
what about H&R Springs? I heard there really good

2005 WRX
Borla XR-1 CBE Best Purchase so far

"Wax on wax off"
#8 Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson View Post
what about H&R Springs? I heard there really good
Nope they have a horrible ride (particularly w/the stock struts). I would not run them as there are much better options out there. Basically what I posted above...the Swifts, Mach V Blues, Epic Engineering, ect.

The ones l listed above generally regarded as the best for the WRX (with stock shocks). Personally I would never run any spring made by H&R, Tein, Perrin, Progess, Megan, and/or Cobb as they lack the quality of the ones I previosly posted. There is a lot that goes into designing a spring and for it to be good it must increase the handling/performance all while lowering the ride height of the car. Many springs such as the cobb, perrin, and teins lower the car too much and over dampen the stock struts. This will cause the stock struts to fail at a much higher rate. Thus, it is very important to match the spring/spring rate with the strut you are running.
#9 Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
What about H&R Coilovers I was Planing on getting a set

2005 WRX

"Wax on wax off"
#10 Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
He answered your question in his post....read it!!
#11 Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
Totally missed it sorry
is that me? lol

2005 WRX

"Wax on wax off"
#12 Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I wish we never added that stupid emoticon. 90%* of you have no idea what it means and use it incorrectly. It's "beating a dead horse" which is an expression for doing something over and over with no purpose.

*90% of all statistics are made up on the spot

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
Its funny some level! Anyway I like H&R I mean I got three guys I work with that say H&R are good and so are tein n so on. But they don't have subie's not that its a bad thing but some thing that works for they're cars might not work for mine! I like that they're made in Germany too! My car is a (DD) I would like to maybe take it to a track day once and a while but most of the time its a (DD) I'm so cofused on what to do I want coil-overs but Struts and springs are also good idea too! ????????

2005 WRX

"Wax on wax off"
#14 Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I meant for it to refer to you asking the same question....which your still doing. *facepalms* At least you found it funny to some extent...haha.
#15 Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson View Post
My car is a (DD) I would like to maybe take it to a track day once and a while but most of the time its a (DD) I'm so cofused on what to do I want coil-overs but Struts and springs are also good idea too! ????????
Well coilovers are not necessary for a DD. Coilovers are only necessary if you are taking the car to the track regularly and you need extreme adjustability. In actuality a good spring/strut combo will be better for a DD and even out perform a cheap coilover setup.

Personally, I think buying a cheap coilover setup is very bad idea. Many of the cheaper coilover setups have a terrible ride quality and don't last (need revalving). Also, many of the cheaper coilover setups are designed for the Japanese roads which are much better than the roads we have in the U.S. so your ride quality will really suffer.

If I were you I would contact Clint at TIC. He knows his **** and will get you what you need. But, most likely the TIC Tok Suspension package (Dspecs matched with some RCE Blacks) will be perfect for ya.

Helping you to enjoy your car - Turn In Concepts