Subaru WRX Forum banner

So am doing it correctly?

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Kwt-Rex 
#1 ·
Hey people :D

Planing on getting a new Wheel/Tire set.
Jut wanted to see if am doing it correctly.

Ok i drive an 09 WRX Sedan,here is the plan:
-Enkei RPF1's,18x8 45+ (not sure yet),For the tires am going with 245/35 (Advice on good tires?)
The tire calculator shows that the 245/35 with 18/8 rims should be 24.7 so that shouldn't be a big problem(?) but will it rub?

So whtcha think?
Forgot to add "Ï" after am,lol

#2 ·
245 at +45 might rub on your rear fenders slightly. If you're willing to roll, shouldn't be a big deal. Higher offset would fix that as well. There aren't many tires to choose from in 245/35R18 and they're expensive. Particularly if you have trouble sourcing tires, you might want to consider a more widely used size. Like 245/40R17 on 17" wheels. Also, you might want 235/40R17 or 235/35R18 instead of 245 wide on an 8" wheel. 245 wide is kind of pushing it for an 8" wheel. It's within range, but some will find the tire sloppy. Then again, it's hard to imagine a 35 sidewall tire being sloppy...

#3 ·
The tires are not going to be a problem.I'll use Kumho Ecsta XS tires,They're not very expensive and offer very good performance from what i read.As for the rims,Am still going with 18's because i want to upgrade my brakes to brembos but I'll up the width so i dont over stritch the tires.18x18.5 is what am going for now (going with your advice).Am not going to lower my car so is rolling the fenders really necesiry when running on stock ride height?.Of course if its important and helps performance alot i'll lower and roll.
I'll also up the offset.

It seems that i need to do some more research into this matter.

#6 ·
I have read that 17" Enkei's will not clear 04 and 08 brembos (that's what i was planing to do) so that's why I decided on the 18" but if you have 17" and they clear,The problem might be with the Enkei's.
Well i dont think its going to be a problem anymore since they dont make 8.5 PRF1'S(they do but not in 5x100 bolt pattern :( ).Btw what rims are you running?

#7 ·
The reason the enkei's (I assume you mean 17x8" +45 RPF1's) do not clear is not because of their diameter, it's because the brakes are wide. Hmm, they STICK OUT. You'll have that problem on 17" or 18" or 20". The diameter isn't an issue, they hit the spokes. There are plenty of 18" wheels that don't clear brembos either.

#8 · (Edited)
ohh thats why it doesn't clear them out.I always thought that the diameter of the brakes was bigger than the diameter of the inside of the Enkei's,thanks for clearing that out.
So how do we Solve this problem(Enkei wise ofcourse)?spacers?

After reading on nasioc.+44 18X8.5 on 235/40R18 Fits with no rubbing! And its with stock fenders and suspension,looks good too.I might settle for 235's with a higher offset rim.

#9 ·
You don't want that setup. It's 11mm less that stock offset and the tire is too tall. It may clear your rear fenders but it's rather close but there's lots of other reasons not to get that setup. 18x8.5" +44 sounds like somebody recommended grids to you. Those won't clear brembos btw (like I said before, because of the spokes). If you want 235 or 245 wide, you should look at 235/40R17, 245/40R17 or 235/35R18, 245/35R18. The 18" sizes will be very expensive and that's not much sidewall.

#10 ·
Am not going with 40 sidewalls on 18's nor am i ever going with Rota rims (the specs i posted were grids but i wasnt planning on going with them),I just hate Rota's.

All thats left is deciding on rims that will clear brembos.

Mosc thanks man,you have been of great help to me :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.