Subaru WRX Forum banner

snow tires and rim painting fun times

17K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  LeohMit 
#1 ·
so i picked up another set of wrx stockers a few months back and finally got around to getting them cleaned up and painted. i had to do ALOT of sanding with a die grinder because the stockers were beat to hell aka MAJOR curb rash. i got them alot smoother than they were but you can still tell in some areas.

also thanks to mike wray from David Wray Automotive for putting on the nokia RSi winter tire group buy! picked up a set and they look awesome. got them mounted up at his shop as well for a great price. he was able to get them balanced as well which i thought would have been impossible with how beat up the rims were.

as for the painting...

1. clean rims with something
2. sand rims
3. one coat primer
4. 3-4 coats gold engine enamel.(used this 2 years ago on an old set of tires and lasted through two winters and still looks nice)
5. 2 coats of clear coat made for rims(can pick up at any auto store)

oh, and 2 decks of cards to make your life easier.

these puppies should do great this winter

next project will be to stud my other set of winters(wrx stockers w/ blizzak ws-50s) for the ice races.

Justin

See less See more
#37 ·
if you want the color to turn out darker then use a darker primer, and if you want it to come out lighter, then use a lighter primer. id probably give it about 20 min between each coat. piant thinner is another thing to have on hand in case of overspray so you can keep the paint from running.

when the wheels are done you can also put a coat of rain-x on so when brake dust builds up u can just hose it off

#38 ·
oh ok, thanks. I'm probably going to convince my brother to do this technique n his 99 Altima ROFL, bcuz he wants bronze rims. So we could get a gold paint, and a darker primer to create a bronze, correct?

I use this insanely great ArmorAll wheel cleaner. You just spray it on, and wipe it off and rinse, and the wheels look better than new!

#41 ·
yeah probably. we are building up the Altima's performance, and don't really feel like wasting $500+ on something that will just make it look good. Do you think it would be possible to paint the rims chrome?!?! ROFL these rims wouldn't look too good, but not that bad either.

edit- when i get back from lunch ima Photoshop it and see !Thumbs Up

#43 ·
Well i just attempted to make a gold rim, still haven't found a good combo of colors to make a good gold, but i guess these look OK... I can't tell, do they look too green or yellow or do they look goldish?

I left the front rim stock color to show the difference in colors on the Altima...

Attachments

#48 ·
Longshot, Burtonboy......what what brand paints did you use? I'm looking for a gold/bronze paint just like the ones you have and I went to go get a few cans of Dupli-Color bronze, but that bronze doesn't look like the gold/bronze that I want.

What were your specific brands?

#52 ·
did you paint the inside of the rims? Or just to top part? I need to spray my stockers flat black but i dont know if i should paint the inside too or not

Edit: wow old thread didnt even notice. Ha.

Op: yeah you just have to sand everything down. It should work if you do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.