Snow Chains? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Snow Chains?

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Anyway, where I live I am required to carry chains in the winter. Since the fender clearance is so close on my STi I don't want to have anything that will mess up the fenders and the paint. They'll more than likely never get used, but in the extreme case I needed some, what should I buy? Being all wheel drive do I need two sets? Any suggestions or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nope, we see a ton of snow out here, but never knew that could be a law. Cali really upsets me a lot.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Actually, you might not have to worry about it:

Caltrans Winter Driving Tips Chain Controls

"The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall."

The last sentence is the key. Just about all "Ultra High Performance All-Season" tires should have the "M+S Radial Tubeless" phrase stamped on it. (Check out the full screen pictures on Tire Rack.) So, in the eyes of CA law, these tires will meet the "snow-tread tire requirement", and you will not have to carry chains. The practical effectiveness of an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire in the snow is another debate entirely...

It's the reason I changed from a Ultra High Performance Summer to an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire a few years ago. Hope this information helps you!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#4 Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Tire situation has been handled. Have a summer set and a winter set. Doesn't help the must carry issue. Guess I'll go look for some low profile cables or something. Not gonna spend $500 on spike spiders, that much I know!! Thanks for the replies
#5 Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
This thread made me think of the "studded tires of death"
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#6 Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Now you're talking!!!!
#7 Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Why have summer tires AND winter tires when YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!??! At. The. Same. Time. :eek:

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#8 Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Please note the differences between having the M+S rated tires and those having the Severe Service Emblem. Having the SSE will guarantee you that it has gone thru the American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests. That does not mean an M+S tire won't pass. It's just that the tire has never been certified.

Having only a generic M+S rating

Name:  m-s-lettres_JOL-0.jpg
Views: 3928
Size:  57.2 KB

vs having the Severe Service Emblem

Name:  SSE_450x300.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  58.0 KB

A lot of times, tire manufactures will include both the Severe Service Emblem and the M+S rating (even though it's not necessary) as a coverall for un-informed consumers.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#9 Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

diesel paul is more helpful than not
i run up an down 108 all winter long for boarding at dodge an i just throw a set of generic cables in just to keep the police happy all they are looking for is that u made the attempt if you really need cables on your suby with decent tires the conditions must be pretty nasty

2003 wrx hatch upgraded turbo three inch turbo back upgraded up pipe subaru upgrade intake
#10 Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Why have summer tires AND winter tires when YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!??! At. The. Same. Time. :eek:
Because when I bought the car it came with two sets of wheels and tires. On the golden wheels are Potenzas that are like $280 a piece. Since I'll never buy a tire like that again I run them in the summer. They say summer use only on them. When they wear out I'll sell the other wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel paul View Post
i run up an down 108 all winter long for boarding at dodge an i just throw a set of generic cables in just to keep the police happy all they are looking for is that u made the attempt if you really need cables on your suby with decent tires the conditions must be pretty nasty
That works for me

Thanks for the replies
#11 Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Because all-season (aka. no-season) tires are a compromise in ALL situations.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.