Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Handling Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Snow Chains? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/snow-chains-33201/)

Kapt 10-26-2012 09:09 PM

Snow Chains?

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Anyway, where I live I am required to carry chains in the winter. Since the fender clearance is so close on my STi I don't want to have anything that will mess up the fenders and the paint. They'll more than likely never get used, but in the extreme case I needed some, what should I buy? Being all wheel drive do I need two sets? Any suggestions or thoughts?

BLAZE2099 10-28-2012 04:16 PM

Nope, we see a ton of snow out here, but never knew that could be a law. Cali really upsets me a lot.

sleepr 10-28-2012 06:03 PM

Actually, you might not have to worry about it:

[url=http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm]Caltrans Winter Driving Tips Chain Controls[/url]

"The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall."

The last sentence is the key. Just about all "Ultra High Performance All-Season" tires should have the "M+S Radial Tubeless" phrase stamped on it. (Check out the full screen pictures on Tire Rack.) So, in the eyes of CA law, these tires will meet the "snow-tread tire requirement", and you will not have to carry chains. The practical effectiveness of an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire in the snow is another debate entirely...

It's the reason I changed from a Ultra High Performance Summer to an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire a few years ago. Hope this information helps you!

Kapt 10-29-2012 01:43 PM

Tire situation has been handled. Have a summer set and a winter set. Doesn't help the must carry issue. Guess I'll go look for some low profile cables or something. Not gonna spend $500 on spike spiders, that much I know!! Thanks for the replies :)

man show 10-29-2012 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thread made me think of the "studded tires of death"

Kapt 10-29-2012 10:30 PM

Now you're talking!!!! :D

man show 10-30-2012 06:30 AM

Why have summer tires AND winter tires when YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!??! At. The. Same. Time. :eek:

Vew 10-30-2012 09:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Please note the differences between having the M+S rated tires and those having the Severe Service Emblem. Having the SSE will guarantee you that it has gone thru the American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests. That does not mean an M+S tire won't pass. It's just that the tire has never been certified.

Having only a generic M+S rating

[ATTACH]5902[/ATTACH]

vs having the Severe Service Emblem

[ATTACH]5903[/ATTACH]

A lot of times, tire manufactures will include both the Severe Service Emblem and the M+S rating (even though it's not necessary) as a coverall for un-informed consumers.

diesel paul 10-30-2012 11:38 PM

i run up an down 108 all winter long for boarding at dodge an i just throw a set of generic cables in just to keep the police happy all they are looking for is that u made the attempt if you really need cables on your suby with decent tires the conditions must be pretty nasty

Kapt 10-31-2012 02:29 AM

[quote=man show;287365]Why have summer tires AND winter tires when YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!??! At. The. Same. Time. :eek:[/quote]

Because when I bought the car it came with two sets of wheels and tires. On the golden wheels are Potenzas that are like $280 a piece. Since I'll never buy a tire like that again I run them in the summer. They say summer use only on them. When they wear out I'll sell the other wheels :)

[quote=diesel paul;287384]i run up an down 108 all winter long for boarding at dodge an i just throw a set of generic cables in just to keep the police happy all they are looking for is that u made the attempt if you really need cables on your suby with decent tires the conditions must be pretty nasty[/quote]

That works for me :cool:

Thanks for the replies

Fidrat 11-01-2012 01:10 AM

[quote=man show;287365]Why have summer tires AND winter tires when YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!??! At. The. Same. Time. :eek:[/quote]

Because all-season (aka. no-season) tires are a compromise in ALL situations.