Subaru WRX Forum banner

s-techs or df210 springs?

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
so ive got an 03 on tokiko d-spec struts and i want a better drop then h-techs ugly wheel gap in front an saggy butt!:notgood:. i was lookin at the specs on s-techs and df210 springs and i like what i read and they provide the drop im lookin for so im askin what would be the better choice out of the two?

#2 ·
S-Tech's are near stock springrates with several inches less spring. They're incredibly bad for the handling of the car. df210 springs are considerably stiffer but probably won't drop much more than the h-techs.

The "look" you're going for will really put you at odds with the handling of your car. The suspension is not like a honda and does not benefit from being thrown to the ground. The "wheelgap" as you call it is normal and if it wasn't there would mean the suspension didn't have enough room to do it's job.

#3 ·
+1. The S-techs are possibly the absolute worst spring you can run on a WRX.

To further explain what mosc said. The S-techs drop the car about 2 inches in the front, this is just too low. The s-techs drop so much you really limit suspension travel, take the suspension out of its sweet spot/usable stroke, and you will be riding on the bump stops. Basically, you will have a horrible/bouncy ride w/the s-techs.

Check out these threads about the Tein S-techs:

The official Tein S-tech FAQ - NASIOC

Tein S Coils (Help) - NASIOC

#4 ·
Bottom line is the stock design of strut and spring makes some rough assumptions that you can't get around in terms of wheel placement. It demands high offset and a few inches of throw. This is the nature of a McPherson strut. If you truly want something lower that would still perform at all, you'd want some type of coil over design. They are capable of much much higher springrates and much shorter throws. Even then I wouldn't set them up for the kind of drop you're talking about. You'd be forcing the wheels too far up in the chassis for the car to do it's job properly.

#5 ·
im not lookin for the coilover slammed look i was just hoping for more of an even drop not 4 fingers in front barely 1 in the back.. or did the shop put them in backwords?? i looked at the springs when i got them and i couldnt tell the difference in f/r. i had blue springs in there before and the drop/ride quallity was amazing i think they were spt but i cant remember

#6 ·
REC yellow springs

ok so heres what iv desided on. RCE yellow springs, on the d-spec struts i got, now i cant find these springs for my 03? only 04... can i still use them? what do i gotta do for these springs to fit the right way? i saw them on a car with the same struts at nasioc.com and its the even drop im looking for

#7 ·
ok so heres what iv desided on. RCE yellow springs, on the d-spec struts i got, now i cant find these springs for my 03? only 04... can i still use them? what do i gotta do for these springs to fit the right way? i saw them on a car with the same struts at nasioc.com and its the even drop im looking for
You are going to need '04+ WRX style rear top hats and Scooby Spacers for the rear for the cheapest route. However, I recommend you get STi Group N Top Hats front and rear, Dpecs, RCE yellows, some camber bolts for the rear (eibach ones are $27), and a killer alignment.

You should contact Turn in Concepts. Clint and Tony (the owners) sell everything you will need, are very knowlegable standup guys, and will not sell you crap you don't need.

Helping you to enjoy your car. - Turn In Concepts

They actually have a package:

TiC Tok suspension package Turn In Concepts

#8 ·
If your Subaru has equal wheel spacing front and back, then the suspension is utter shit. It's designed to be uneven. That's the way the fenders are cut. Making your suspension compensate for the body paneling is absurdly stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.