ROKKOR Coilovers.. clunking in rear... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
ROKKOR Coilovers.. clunking in rear...

I recently installed some ROKKOR coilovers on my 04 wrx... I am very very pleased with the ride quality and handling improvements! However, at low speeds over bumps i get a rattle/clunk from the upper rear... anyone had this issue before? I added about 5mm of preload onto all 4 corners and that didnt do it... also i am really pretty sure the top strut nut is tight on the strut cylinder... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaridar View Post
I recently installed some ROKKOR coilovers on my 04 wrx... I am very very pleased with the ride quality and handling improvements! However, at low speeds over bumps i get a rattle/clunk from the upper rear... anyone had this issue before? I added about 5mm of preload onto all 4 corners and that didnt do it... also i am really pretty sure the top strut nut is tight on the strut cylinder... thanks
WEll im going to look them over one more time and double check to make sure things are all tight... if i still here the sound they are going back and i will probably never get coilovers again..
#3 Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Well, you did buy a $400 set of coilovers. you're gonna need to triple and quadruple that price if you have expectations of quality. From a quick reading Rokkor = Raceland and Raceland makes the disposable cameras of the coilover world. They have a reputation for only lasting a year and sometimes they actually snap off the mounts.
#4 Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^How do you really feel Justin?

Don't hold back....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#5 Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I was just saying. I don't know if it the cause of the clunking, but poor design and failing parts can cause it. A lot of times the noise he's describing is from a bad bearing in the tophat. It was just a warning. You don't cheap out on critical components such as suspension.
#6 Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
well i read tons of reviews on these before i got them and most were good. they dont have a middle man and thats how they said they can keep the price so low... the handling and ride quality are great, but i can not live with this clunking.... they were 500 btw.. i know that crap compared to 1500 or 2000 for other good ones...
#7 Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I know where you're coming from. Again, without actually being able to directly point out what's causing it I would probably attribute it to poor quality/parts. They keep prices low by cutting corners, not by selling them directly instead of thru distributors. For the price you these go for you simply can't sell them with any sort of profit margin that would be able to keep a company afloat without doing so. And I'm weary of reviews because a lot of them are made by people who don't really know about the part (in the case of Rokkors, older VW and BMW owners who who are looking to slam for cheap and base their opinions on perception and not grounded knowledge.). Also you get a lot of reviews being made before the part is even installed or right after installation, not a year or 2 down line when it really matters. That basically amounts to "They look cool and my car didn't spontaneously combust when I started it up! Ride quality is up for debate, because (I'm assuming) that you're basing your comparison off the highly worn or dead struts you replaced these with. The rates used in Racelands are NOT matched well for handling to benefit, and seeing as how these are by the same people I'd imagine them to be very similar.

I'm not trying to belittle you at all, I'm just trying to help you see the light!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2042948
#8 Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
make sure everything is tight. i had the same thing happen to me( i called it shock knock) and come to find out that the nut that connects the tip hat to the spring was loose and every time i was at slow speeds hitting small bumps or backing out my driveway i would have that happen. tightened all my bolts up and now im good to go
#9 Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
cool thanks guys
#10 Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
i called them they sent me new, mounts... we will see what happens...