Replacement Struts on 02 WRX Wagon? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

1BlueRocket is an unknown
Question Replacement Struts on 02 WRX Wagon?

Got an 02 WRX wagon and a reliable mechanic said the rear struts need replacing:

I’m doing a few other tweaks to the car and am looking for opinions on what I should be looking for replacement struts. Increasing the handling is a big plus but I don’t want to make significant changes in the ride height. Slightly lowering is fine.

The car is an all year driver, and I live in Canada so winter driving is a reality (it’s May and we just had 4” of snow last night) :eek:

Curently it has stock suspension but next week I’m having front and rear sway bars installed with new linkages, as well as turbo back custom 3” stainless exhaust, STI Intercooler, uppipe, Short Air ram, and Cobb Access Port .

It’s currently running Subaru 16’ rims on all season tires, but have ordered Goodyear F1 Asymetric tires 225/45/17 to fit ASA J3 17 x 7.5 rims for some summer fun. I’ve never run the car on these rims or tires before but love sticky flat handling in corners.

Am I opening up a 'can of worms' with the new tires\rims\swaybars\ and struts? What would I also need to do?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 1BlueRocket; 05-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Personally, I'd always replace all 4 strut assemblies (strut AND spring combo or coilovers) at once. As far as the "can of works" is concerned, you'll be very pleased after you've executed your plan.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#3 Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

1BlueRocket is an unknown
Any suggestions for makes\models of coilover options? Handling is premium, willing to have a bit harsher ride.
#4 Old 05-10-2008, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Robby1989 is an unknown
I have agx ajustable shocks with cobb spring very nice, i dont like coil overs because they are to stiff and is not so good for a daily driver! I would fine a set of springs that dont drop it so low, seeing is how you drive through a lot of tall snow!
#5 Old 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
for a strut replacement the KYB GR2's offer a direct WRX wagon replacement- they are slightly firmer damped than the oe ones and cheaper to boot

for a slightly lower spring w/ mildly increased spring rates- source a set of v7 STi wagon springs

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa