recall in my mail today - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
If the dealership is doing the job right, it should NOT require an alignment, since the ball joint is the only part that gets removed from the steering knuckle. (you get new ball joints along with the control arms) Toe and camber won't be affected, unless they botch it

Cullen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thanks, very helpful.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #18 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I got mine a week ago. Gotta make an appointment sometime.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #19 of 25 Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I'm back from my recall appointment. The ticket says,"front lower control arms inspect, punch test (passed) and rustproof / both sides"

Last night I looked at the arms and I saw that there was rustproofing already on them from Ziebart. It's due for it's yearly rust inspection and touch up. I also noticed a minimal amount of rust on the seams of the arms regardless. Unless Subaru has some magic potion in their rust proofing that is better than Ziebart (I doubt it) they will rust no matter what!

This car has been parked outside every winter since I got it back in 2003. They use tons and tons of salt and sand on the roads around here. I plan on keeping this car as long as possible. The only rust on my car in on all the welds under the body and these arms.

My question is, are the aluminum arms still available? And is there some way I can deal with the rust on the welds?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
I'm back from my recall appointment. The ticket says,"front lower control arms inspect, punch test (passed) and rustproof / both sides"

Last night I looked at the arms and I saw that there was rustproofing already on them from Ziebart. It's due for it's yearly rust inspection and touch up. I also noticed a minimal amount of rust on the seams of the arms regardless. Unless Subaru has some magic potion in their rust proofing that is better than Ziebart (I doubt it) they will rust no matter what!

This car has been parked outside every winter since I got it back in 2003. They use tons and tons of salt and sand on the roads around here. I plan on keeping this car as long as possible. The only rust on my car in on all the welds under the body and these arms.

My question is, are the aluminum arms still available? And is there some way I can deal with the rust on the welds?
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=653

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #21 of 25 Old 12-27-2011, 01:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Thanks. Someone actually read and answered my post. Much better than the other forum I asked. Again, Thank you.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #22 of 25 Old 12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Got my letter too... I think maybe I'll put this one off until next year

John
07 WRX
post #23 of 25 Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
My advice is: If you take care of your car, like wash the undercarriage regularly, wait a couple of years until corrosion could really be an issue to respond to the recall (they never expire) If you have the recall done now, you'll never be able to get your control arms replaced for free later. No need to rush out to get confirmation that they're not falling apart, unless you've never actually been under your car and are worried about it.

Most of us maintain our rexes to a level that the control arms are not likely to fail the test. Only a really neglected bug-eye, or maybe an '04 is going to fail now. I state this from first hand experience (working for dealer in new england)

Cullen
post #24 of 25 Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Mine looked good when I was down there doing my U.P., so I'll take the advise and wait a few years probably.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #25 of 25 Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good call Cullen... I didn't realize the safety recall never expires. I'm going to take a look at the control arms myself and file the paper away for when/if I really need it.

John
07 WRX