Prodrives on stock struts? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-11-2009, 06:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Prodrives on stock struts?

So after a lot of persuading from friends, and the new rims, I have decided that lowering the car might be a good idea...I think I am going to try and grab myself a pair of used prodrives now my question for you guys is...From what I understand I can in fact run prodrives on my stock struts? Also buying used springs is not like a total no-no is it? If buying used springs is a option what kind of things should I be looking for that would maybe turn me away from the purchase? Lastly is this a year specific mod? A friend is selling his prodrives off his 04 or 05 wrx (I forget) I was considering to buy them off him but I am not sure if they are compatible with my 03 wrx.

Some other comparable springs I found were these tell me what you guys think (If they are good quality/will work with stock struts)

-Megan Racing
- Lower rate: 1.5" Front, 1.5" Rear

- Springs rate: 250F & 220R

-Tein S.Tech
LOWERS VEHICAL:
FRONT: 2.0"
REAR: .7"

-Tein H.Tech
Front Spring Rate : 3.5 kgf/mm / 196 lbs/in
Rear spring rate : 2.5 kgf/mm / 140 lbs/in
Front Lowering : -28 mm / -1.1 mm
Rear Lowering : -16mm / -0.6 Inches

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
I would ask how many miles are on them, like everything else these do wear out.
How many miles are on your struts?
Yes, these are year specific; the 02-03 rear top hats are different. You can use 04+ top hats on 02-03 struts. I would not suggest stock struts with performance springs. The stock struts don't like more than about 1" drop, and all the springs have higher rates than stock. The stock struts are not designed for the higher rates.
This might help: Shocks/struts
Just remember that if you have high mileage on the struts they are going to die quicker than brand new stock struts.
#3 Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Springs that reduce height without increasing springrate are junk. That said, your struts can't handle higher springrates. They're the same struts as from the base Impreza if I recall and are already taxed by stock WRX springs IMHO.

Now, if you don't care about handling, you'll be alright with a 1-1.5" front drop spring with similar to stock spring rates. It won't cause your car to spontaneously combust or anything. Just don't kid yourself that you're helping anything. I would strongly caution against Tien S-Tech (H-Tech are much less severe) and other LARGE drop springs as they can be a real pain with rubbing, blowing struts, uneven tire wear, alignment problems, etc.

The option I would really recommend to you is used 04 STi springs AND struts. You'll get about 1" lower with a better strut and a stiffer spring. It's also a balanced setup designed for your chassis from the factory. Also, you won't have to cringe every time you need to pull into an angled driveway.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfartracer View Post
I would ask how many miles are on them, like everything else these do wear out.
How many miles are on your struts?
Yes, these are year specific; the 02-03 rear top hats are different. You can use 04+ top hats on 02-03 struts. I would not suggest stock struts with performance springs. The stock struts don't like more than about 1" drop, and all the springs have higher rates than stock. The stock struts are not designed for the higher rates.
This might help: Shocks/struts
Just remember that if you have high mileage on the struts they are going to die quicker than brand new stock struts.
The rear struts were replaced not to long ago I believe my mechanic put stockers on it, so there shouldn't be any more then like 2,500-3,000 miles on those...The fronts I am guessing were replaced at some point by the former owner but I would imagine they have a decent bit of miles.

As for the performance aspect I really don't care about handling too much, I know that's what the car success's in but I am a straight line kind of guy. So for the whole lowering thing as long as it doesn't make my car any worse then what it is and/or in a few weeks-months of having them on I need to replace all of my struts then I do not really mind...Basically I just do not want to dump a lot of money into the car so I am trying to do some cheap mods that will improve the over all look of the car (so purely visual) but at the same time wont cost me a lot of money down the road (stock struts getting screwed up quickly).

I mostly just want to eliminate some wheel gap and even it out I am not to sure of the 04 sti struts/springs would do this but how much would I be able to pick those up for? My initial plan was not to spend more then like 150-200 on a pair of used springs so if its much more than that probably not much of a option for me.

Dream Evil
#5 Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Garage
Just stay away from S-Tech and similar garbage. Plenty of used options with those priorities in mind over on nasioc.

#6 Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah, I mean I figure the prodrives would be my best bet or the Tein H.Tech because my buddy has a 03 wrx with prodrives on stock struts for a while now and hasn't ran into any problems but I guess that could be just luck, In any rate though you guys think that I would be alright running prodrives/teinh.techs in terms of not having my struts blow, as well as not bring my performance down hill?

Dream Evil
#7 Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Garage
I doubt the performance will be noticeably different. You don't track your car. The ride will be a lot bumpier, that will be the main difference. Your struts will wear out faster but how much faster depends on your driving. Struts wear from use. If you rode on totally flat surfaces and never turned, they'd probably last forever. Do you want some arbitrary number like 21,478.6 miles from now or 39.7423% faster than stock?

#8 Old 06-11-2009, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
No, Obviously you can not give a specific number, I guess I was just looking for a idea of how quickly they would wear your struts down how much more quickly does it end the life expectancy of the struts? I mean if were talking average miles on a strut is (totally random number) 20,000 miles and by me putting on prodrives I would expect to only get like 5 or 10,000 miles then its not worth it to me because for a sightly more clean looking car im spending a lot of money more frequently how ever if it's only bringing it down to like 18,000 then that's something that might be worth doing.

Dream Evil