Prodrive Springs for 2005 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turbolude_94 is an unknown
Prodrive Springs for 2005 WRX

Car: 2005 Subaru WRX

Setup: Prodrive Springs with stock struts.

I installed my Prodrive springs roughly about a year and a half ago and I have recently been getting alot of metal to metal contact noise whenever I go over bumps or cracks in the road. I have searched for similar topics but cannot really narrow it down without looking at it. Ultimately I want to find out if someone has been in this situation. Would it be the bump stops? I never cut them from what I remember and Prodrive never sent new ones. Would you advise me to replace the stock ones and if so I have searched for new ones but come up empty. I cannot find them anywhere online. Another reason I would think is because of the assembly the springs physically sit within. Would there be some kind of rubber insert I could place in there to resolve the issue. I know the struts are not blown because the car still rides solid over bumps and does not sag.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Is the ride kinda bouncy now? How many miles on the stock struts?

B/c if the ride is bouncy your stock struts maybe on their way out. The stock struts tend to start failing at about 80K miles or so and lowering springs only accelerates that due to the lower stance and higher spring rates.

Edit: Just noticed you said it rides over bumps solid. So you could be right your original bump stops maybe worn out. You should also check your CV joints/boots as they can make some similar noises when they get old/rupture. Also, its possible your sways bushings may need some grease.

I believe RCE still sells prodrive springs, so you should contact them and see if they can get some bump stops for you:

Welcome to Racecomp Engineering.com
post #3 of 6 Old 03-28-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

No the car rides solid. It honestly sounds like the spring is loose on the assembly, like when I go over a bump they have room to move and then make the noise. Would you think it is moreover the spring causing this or the bump stop issue?

Also I am thinking of getting new struts/shocks for my WRX. Any recommendations with the prodrive springs? I am looking for reasonably priced ones that ride well with the prodrive springs.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolude_94 View Post
Also I am thinking of getting new struts/shocks for my WRX. Any recommendations with the prodrive springs? I am looking for reasonably priced ones that ride well with the prodrive springs.
Tokico Dspecs or Koni Inserts. Also, If you going to upgrade the struts you should also get some STi Group N Top Hats front/rear. I would contact TIC, they are well known in the subaru community for their suspension knowledge.

Helping you to enjoy your car - Turn In Concepts
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks soo much for the advice. I will have to look into this a little more before I commit to buying anything. I know Prodrive engineered the springs to work best with the stock struts but I'm sure theres some affordable performance struts that work well with the setup.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
CLint at TiC is the man!!! he knows his stuff and he is always down to help explain things to me. I cant count the number of times i have called him to ask about ANYTHING subaru related and he just knew right there on the spot. Mad respect for Clint, Tony and whoever else makes TiC possible.