Opinions Wanted ..... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
Opinions Wanted .....

HEY ALL! !

After reading the Wheel/Tire FAQ I have some concerns. I bought a set of 18x8 with 42mm offset. Tires are 225/40/18. I went with the 42mm offset so that the wheel face is flush with the fender flare. I'm concerned after reading this that there is a very good chance of rubbing! By the way, I have an '02 WRX which is lowered .5"front .8"rear.

My question is:

- Has anyone run this size/offset on their WRX ???
- In your opinion, do you think I will have issues ???

Thanks

BAMBO !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
tires rub from too much offset, not too little. The reason you don't want that little offset is because it will screw up the suspension. It's designed for 53mm offset and you're 11mm out of spec. That screws up the geometry. I run 225/40/18s as well but my rims are +48. Yours will stick out further (thus being flush I guess or whatever) which gives you even more clearance from the fender well.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 6 Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 AM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
tires also rub from too little offset- instead of rubbing inboard (against the strut), they will often rub outboard on the wheel arch during load (either weight induced or heavy cornering induced)

that said if you have a sedan, 225/45 on a 8" rim with .5" of lowering should not be a problem

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
post #4 of 6 Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
Excellent ! Thanks for the input! ! I do run a sedan so its good to hear that you dont think I'll have any issues. That being said, do you think that I would be able to lower anymore??? I run JIC FLT-A2s so I have control over pretty much everything (camber, dampening, ride height etc)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-02-2008, 02:42 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I would still caution you against those rims due to too little offset adversely effecting your suspension performance.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 6 Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
ride height is easily adj- you'll have to give a try to see if it will work lower- I'd recommend not going lower than 1-1.25", the roll center goes to he11 in a hurry w/ a Mac P strut

remember if you do lower and experience no rubbing issues, you'll need to get an alignment done fairly soon- a change in ride height changes your camber and toe settings, might be worth well marking your current ride height so you can get back to it if it doesn't work out rubbing wise

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement