Subaru WRX Forum banner

Only 2 new tires

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  VisiX 
#1 ·
So the other day I hit an aluminum step ladder on the highway going 80. It put a small gash on the inner sidewall of both front tires and last night I found one of them flat. the tires it had on were 205/55/16 Bridgestone TA Traction. Which I must admit is a pretty decent tire in all conditions. I went to Goodyear (cause thats where I have a credit account) and I picked out some Goodyear Assurance Triple treads. I have put those tires on 2 cars of mine before and figured I'd try them on my REX cause I don't visit the racetrack or street race. So here's the question. Will this harm my tranny? The Bridgestones only have 10K on them and the tread depth of the new tires looks and feels deeper. Will my car give me warning of a problem by an idiot light coming on or is that just on an auto 4 speed tranny?

#5 ·
I talked to a mechanic at the dealership and she said that it can only have a difference of 1/4 inch in tire size of tires to not F-it up. So tomorrow I'll be searching for a place that has a caliper big enough to measure my tires and if there is a greater than 1/4 hopefully find a place to shave them down so I don't have to drop another $300.

#7 ·
I went ahead and got all 4 tires Goodyear triple tread, (thanks to your advice) and noticed something huge, something unexpected but hoped would happen. My car handles better now! I've put these tires on a V8 Mercury Cougar and a Grand Prix GTP and got great results but was skeptical about them measured up to TA Traction. I spent a good 15 min in a parking lot turning tight circles and doing evasive maneuvering and those bastards stuck like velcro. I guess these tires are not recommended for for WRX's by the manufacturer cause they carry an H speed rating and the WRX requires a V. I cant say I frequently go over 130 MPH so they will be okay for me. I'm gonna go tear up some windy lake roads now, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.