Subaru WRX Forum banner

Nitrogen in tires?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  paulf00 
#1 ·
I heard that you can put Nitrogen in tires and that its better then air is this true and if so where can I get some? and how much $$$ do you think it would be?

Thanks Danielson

#2 ·
For a racing car, you would definitely want to consider using nitrogen. In that case, incremental variations in tire pressures during a stint would be critical to handling characteristics and wear at the limit. For most street cars, for most people, I'd consider the use of nitrogen more of a fad, if not a scam. IMO, you'd be better off calculating the optimal tire pressures for your uses, and then keeping your tires at those pressures. Based on when I got some suspension components installed, with me in the driver's seat, we set up my car with slightly different pressures left vs. right and front vs. rear. IMO, use air and just check them more often. I use air and check my pressures weekly. Also remember to check your tires under the same conditons all the time: either cold or hot. Use a good quality gage and keep your car properly aligned. That'll make much more of a difference than using nitrogen in the tires.

Opinions vary. But here's an article that I ran across last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/automobiles/09MOTO.html

#3 ·
I agree with Jag_Warrior. Nitrogen for a street car is silly. Remember too, you're not on a race track with the resources that entails. Maintenance is more important for a car than whatever negligible benefits nitrogen provides.

#4 ·
I agree with what was said. But, I'm under the assumption you have to change out the valve stem from what I was told. Something about pressure differences and properites of nitrogen. Or is that more of a labeling thing? Because, i've definatly seen valve caps with NO on them. Curious if anyone knows...

#5 ·
Keep in mind... If you do get nitro put in your tires, most places do not fully purge out all of the air from your tire. So your not really running 100% nitro.(If you realy care) & Racing tires are fully purged, pre nitro inflation..

Not worth it.

#7 ·
I would agree as well that it's not necesary. However, with that said, I had it put in my summer tires because there was a deal going on and it was free, so I thought why not. Anyway, the one thing I did notice about using the nitrogen is that the tires did hold there pressure steady for a longer time than when I had just air in them. So that was nice. I didn't take notes or record data on the matter or anything so it's not a good scientific example, just an observation.

The shop did purge the tires but who knows how much of the air they can get out of the tire before putting the Nitrogen in. The valve stems do not need to be replaced. The only reason you see valve stem caps with NO on them is to show/remind anyone about to put air the tires that they dont have air in them. Those came free with the Nitrogen as well.

I have since asked a few shops out of curiosity how much they charge to purge and replace the air with nitrogen and most places have quoted around $10.

#8 ·
Actually, nitrogen will probably fill a lot more tires in the years to come. Costco now fills all new tires with nitrogen since it does leak out more slowly, this makes it easier for them to honor tire warranties since they don't have to deal with under-inflated tires. It is easier for the tire service centers to provide nitrogen since they have a nitrogen generator that concentrates the nitrogen from air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.