New Tires - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
New Tires

I am in need of some new tires. I am currently running 235/40 ZR 17 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2, which I only use in the summer. I like the tires but they are quite expensive. Is there any real, huge differnce between an expensive tire and a cheaper tire. I do not drive fast or corner hard. Pretty normal driving. Any info will be helpful
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yes there is a tremendous difference between cheap tyres and pricier models, in my opinion the best bang for your buck out there is either the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec or the Hankook Ventus RS-3

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 22 Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
so true, I used to always get proxee 4s and thats exactly it....I was always buying tires..haha. I liked them but they wear so fast, if you go cheap you might as well just take a lighter to your money.......and boy could I do an awesome hydroplane..

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #4 of 22 Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you want cheaper, you could back off to 225/45R17. You get choices like the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 for $93 each. Should be similar treadlife to the KDW2's.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 22 Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Thanks for the tire options. I'll look into it.
What makes the difference? The softness of the tire? The quality of the rubber? How could I look at the info given to me and determine the type of tire I want? What should I be looking at between these 2? (Not saying I am going to get either of these, just a large price differnce)

Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer)
Avg. Rating: Size: 225/45ZR17
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 91W
Speed Rating "W"
UTQG: Treadwear: 340
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
340 AA APrice: $133.00 (each)

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 RFT (Max Performance Summer)
Avg. Rating: Size: 225/45ZR17
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 91W
Speed Rating "W"
UTQG: Treadwear: 140
Traction: A
Temperature: A
140 A APrice: $249.00 (each)
post #6 of 22 Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Garage
bleh. Those are very nebulous questions.

Tires basically balance treadlife, comfort, dry traction, wet traction, snow traction, ice traction, and price. Each individual tire will have different strengths and weaknesses in each area. Specifically, Dry traction comes at the expense of nearly every other category to some extent. Also, within the term "traction" implies a lot of different things from steering response to lateral grip to bound and rebound damping. Even at this level, we're making gross simplifications.

Speed ratings, load ratings, and temperature ratings also have an effect on a tire. Some tires make compromises in some of the areas listed above in order to achieve a given weight, speed, or temperature rating. These factors are sometimes secondary, but sometimes not. For example, extremely low profile tires may compromise nearly everything in order to simply be rated for the weight they will need to handle with so little sidewall. A more general example of this though is the stiffer sidewall needed for higher speed ratings. Generally, there is a big gap between V and above rated tires and things below in terms of sidewall stiffness. Stiffer sidewalls are made of more expensive designs so price, and performance, can vary even within two tires of the same size and design just with two different speed ratings.

An additional complexity is that you've picked one traditional tire and one RFT tire. RFT is run-flat. Generally, run flats are a concoction designed for safety that did not pan out. It puts huge burdens on tire design which lead to high cost and shit tires. Just ignore anything with RFT, realizing that RFT itself is a big reason for some of the cost involved in those particular tires. If nothing else, it's a markup for the select few cars that expect RFT tires. Limited market means higher prices for the specific size tires they need.

As far as the DW vs the RE050, they are both the same type of tire. Pricing, which seems to be of central interest to you is complex and not linked exclusively to attributes of the tires. Bridgestone is a well known brand and on some tires commands a premium just due to it's name. Also, some tires are older designs or newer designs and the wholesale cost will vary based on how much of the design budget for the tire is included in the price. Older tires are often cheaper because they have already made up development costs and are now priced closer to the cost to create individually.

And none of that gets into "which tire handles better?", which is a completely different question.

post #7 of 22 Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
to be honest I've driven cars with both of those tyres and their both garbage compared to the Hankook and Dunlop counterparts

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Hankook Ventus R-S3

I've run both of these and gotten right about 15K miles out of each set with very aggressive driving habits, so long as you keep a proper alignment and rotate often from your described style I wouldn't be surprised to see 25K out of them if I were you

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 22 Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm hoping for 2 years or 20k+ out of my Star Specs (fantastic tires, by the way). I currently have a few hundred

John
07 WRX
post #9 of 22 Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

haha I was lucky to make 15, and I was at the cords then I probably should have replaced them 2K sooner but I also auto-x every weekend and drive the piss out of the car

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
HUGE +1 for the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs. BEST tires I've had, and I preferred them on my WRX to the SP Sport 600's my STi has. I will absolutely buy them again! I estimated that I would have gotten about 20K miles on them, and they were as grippy as I ever wanted.

post #11 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Garage
Star Specs are an extreme tire. If that's what you want, they're probably the best cheap choice out there (AD08's are noticeably better but at more than twice the cost). If you're complaining about the cost and treadlife of the KDW2's though (which are a more traditional UHP tire), you should avoid any of the extreme tires. They are too focused on dry grip compared to what you're asking for.

post #12 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

michaelreich is an unknown
Go with the BFG g-Force Sport tires. Long life, very good manners and very good tire all around. If you like the KDWs, you will like these tires. You should easily see 30k.

I know the Star Specs are good, but I don't think an STX tire is what the OP is looking for. I may be wrong. It sounded to me like he wanted a quality tire at a reasonable price that still handled well. The g-Force Sports will lose him a second or two at an autox, but the tread will probably last twice as long with a price that is 1/3 less.

If you guys insist on put the poor guy in the best, wait until April 1. Michelin is bringing out the Pilot Super Sport. It will put every tire you listed to shame and it has a 30k warranty (the first for a Z rated tire). It will be the most revolutionary high performance tire ever - testing a lot of those compromises listed in an earlier post.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Tire Rack has those now... Looks like $224 for a 235/45/17.

-Chris
post #14 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

michaelreich is an unknown
If you try to order them though - they won't ship until after April 1
post #15 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Garage
treadlife warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. As for the topic at hand of trying to save gunk007 some money, throwing out a >$200 tire is rather unhelpful.