New Shoes and Socks, feedback desired. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

frustrated1 is an unknown
New Shoes and Socks, feedback desired.

Hello Everyone, I read this forum a lot but haven't posted much for w/e reason.

I am about to purchase tires and wheels for my 2003 WRX. I'm also going to do brakes while I'm at it.

Wheels: Konig Runaway 17x8, +46mm offset.

Tires: Yokohama S.Drive 225/45/17

Rotors: Autozone Duralast (I know, I could buy really expensive ones but frankly, from what I've read the disadvantages of a drilled or slotted setup outweigh the benefits of something simple for daily spirited driving. Plus, 2 yr warranty means that in 6 months when they are warped I can just get new ones)

Pads: Hawk HPS Street Pads (Composite)

My questions are as follows:
1) Anything that i've listed above that will be an issue? I dont think so but feel free to point out my noobness.

2) When I replace my brakes, do I want to use a special brake fluid or will the stuff from NAPA work?

Thanks in advance for replying. I've already purchased the rims and will probably get the tires ordered today.

-Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
that'll all work fine. Any break fluid will due but there are fancy ones out there if you want a little bit firmer petal feel. Also your rims are a little out of spec in terms of offset but it won't harm anything, it's just not ideal for your suspension (performance and wear).

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah the offset thing. I'm a follower of your posts mosc and I'm glad you replied. It should be at least +48 as you've stated many times before, but will it make that much of a difference with 2mm? I didn't really have a choice on the +46 vs +48 thing because I've trashed a tire and rim on a pothole here in ohio (they are bad) and it needed replaced, so I bought four new ones. (1st quarter bonus) The only rims he was able to order from Konig for me where the +46's. Is there anything I can do to compensate for this, or just say f it and leave it alone?
#4 Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Nice choice of tires, i just read about a review of the Yokohama Advan tires, the S.Drive and the Advan Neova... They reviewed them really well, those tires should handle a lot of cornering abuse...

You can get some higher performance brake fluid that doesn't boil under extreme braking conditions (such as racing on a track, or autocross) but then again, you probably wouldn't need it...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#5 Old 05-01-2008, 04:00 PM

Garage
I said it would be fine didn't I? I'm not that much of an offset nazi am I? It will be undectectable the difference between 46 and 48 unless you were doing repeated testing for an extended period. Your suspension might wear a little more too but is that really that significant? If your shocks wear out at 74k instead of 75k are you going to cry? Yeah, didn't think so. Offset is important but it's not like there's 100hp lost for ever mm...

I just get on people's case that don't understand it and buy rims without really thinking it through. They usually end up complaining here that something's wrong with the car when really, it's just with them.

Also, autocross is typically about 90 seconds of hard driving. It's hardly going to boil your break fluid.

Oh, you can decrease offset with spacers (which would worsen your problem) but increasing it is much more difficult but neither is in your best interests.

#6 Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah man no track use in the near future for legal reasons I wont go in to. Thanks for the positive feedback on the tires. I'll post a review of them when I get them and let you all know my thoughts. I may not drive on the actual track, but I drive like I am on the track when i'm on the road (hence the legal issues) so I'll beat em up a little and tell you my thoughts.

I currently have the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position on stock rims right now. I love them, and would be buying them again if they didn't jack up the price nearly 70$ per tire to 177 each. They aren't THAT nice. They have a minor tracking issue, but dry and normal grip is fantastic. It rains a lot here in ohio, and I never have to slow down on them, whereas with the RE92 I lost grip a few times in the wet. Road noise is considerable though, especially on anything other than nice smooth blacktop (ohio has a variety of road materials). One of the radials busted on a pot hole though, but my rim went with it so I dont know if it was the tire or the road that's the issue there.

Does anyone know a cheap place to pickup the Hawk HPS pads? Tire Rack has them for 83$ front and 75$ rear. Does that seem right?
#7 Old 05-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Garage
that's about right.

#8 Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cool, thanks; especially mosc.

Tires and pads ordered 5 mins ago. Should be driving them by next weekend.
#9 Old 05-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Garage
of course now that you've bought those tires I get to make some BFG > * comment just to give you a wave of self doubt, right?

Cause clearly your new tires are utter crap and my KDW-2s are 10 billion times grippier.

Heh, I'm just toying with your emotions for my own amusement.

EDIT: Oh, and when (if) you decide to review the new tires, make sure you take into account the width change. Tire width makes a huge difference on it's own outside of the tire specifics. Also remember conditions like temperature and humidity or even the differences in roads. It's hard to objectively compare tires! Most of us don't own multiple sets in the same size on the same rims that we play around with just to compare and contrast.