Need new Rotors, do pads need replacing also? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
Need new Rotors, do pads need replacing also?

So, I have 2 warped rotors and I am thinking of just getting brand new rotors all around instead of paying to have them turned. Would I need to replace my brake pads at the same time? Is it truly necessary for safety or just better for performance and maintenance in the future?

I was think centric rotors and if I do get pads either Hawks or Stoptech, sound good? Looking for a slight upgrade over the stock braking power. While I am at it I should just do stainless steal lines also right?

Also does $200 sound right for the installation of 2 rotors or is that a little pricey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you can afford it, buy four new rotors, new front and rear pads, stainless steel lines, and synthetic brake fluid.

As far as brands, I haven't done enough rotor research yet to chime in with any worthwhile advice. I'm currently using Hawk HPS pads - they give off a lot of dust and they're quiet, but I've heard Hawk HP+ pads are better in terms of performance. I have Goodridge stainless steel lines and they're pretty good. I also alternate between ATE Super Blue and ATE Type 200 fluid every 30k.

If you have a basic set of hand tools and access to a lift or floor jack/stands, you might want to consider doing the work yourself. It's a fairly simple job and you'll save youself a good bit of money.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Do it yourself and use a buddy st the end to help the bleeding process. What's thirty bucks at Walmart for jack and stands, when your laying down the checkbook anyways. You'll always have them to save you money down the road

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#4 Old 11-17-2012, 12:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
Thanks for the info. I have to say I am not even above average in my mechanic skills, but I think I am fairly capable of following directions if there are any good manuals on the internet for doing this stuff. I am just a little hesitant because they are brakes and if I do something wrong, well, I don't want to die, haha.

I think I am going to go with the centric rotors, stoptech or hawk pads and buy the new brake lines. I found a website that sells a lot of this in bundle deals.

Wish me luck on the self install, the money I save on that will have to go to new tires very soon.
#5 Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quite honestly, if you have a free day and are capable of turning a bolt, you can probably tackle a brake job. It helps tremendously to be organized. If you have ever taken something apart and put it back together successfully, you're probably qualified. Double check your work, make sure all bolts are tight, make sure there are no extra pieces, and make sure nothing is leaking and you'll be good to go.

There are plenty of good "How-to's" out there. Here's one example of a video I found after a quick search:

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#6 Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hawks dont impress me much... it takes quite a bit to get em warmed up. The Ceramics at least.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3